Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about UCSC full length cDNA

in one paper, they use downloaded full length cDNA sequences(from ucsc) to detect A-to-I rna editing by aligning to reference hg16, but when i want to repeat their work by downloading human mRNA sequences(i think this is the data they used), i find there's no difference between the mRNA sequences and hg16, why? did i use the wrong data?

can anyone give me a hint
    thanks in advance

Is this really the first post in a thread or is my browser messed up? I hope that my reply here can actually be considered constructive, as intended.

Originally posted by zslee View Post
    in one paper,
    what paper?

by downloading human mRNA sequences
    from where? which file(s)

(i think this is the data they used)
    This appears to be the crux of your problem, you do not know what data they used and therefore cannot download it, and cannot repeat their work.

But again, what paper?

why? did i use the wrong data?
    I honestly have no idea based on the info in your post.

Comment

yes, i should make it clear ~

the paper i consider is
      "Widespread RNA editing of embedded alu elements in the human transcriptome"
      in the method part, they mentioned "We obtained all human and mouse full-length cDNA sequences from the UCSC Genome Browser database and aligned them against their reference genome sequences using BLAT"

my problem is i don't know where to download the full length cDNA sequences from UCSC database

thanks

Comment

From http://genome.ucsc.edu/
        click Tables
        then select the following form entries

Mammal : Human : Mar2006 (or the assembly you want)
        Genes and Gene Prediction Tracks : UCSC Genes
        knownGene
        region: genome

outputformat: sequence
        set an output file name
        use gzip compression

get output

on the next page, you can select mRNA which will splice out introns and start the download of all ucsc known gene mRNA sequences in fasta format.

(but this is really a question for UCSC genome browser, no?)

Comment

in one paper, they use downloaded full length cDNA sequences(from ucsc) to detect A-to-I rna editing by aligning to reference hg16, but when i want to repeat their work by downloading human mRNA sequences(i think this is the data they used), i find there's no difference between the mRNA sequences and hg16, why? did i use the wrong data?

can anyone give me a hint
          thanks in advance
          Yep indeed, looks like if you go to "Tables" then select group=mRNAs and ESTs, track=human mRNAs, then table=all_mrna, the output=sequence sends you to "Human mRNAs *Genomic* Sequence", which i understand is a genomic extraction based on the positions from the alignments, which is obviously not what you want.
          To get the original transcript sequences, try with table=RefSeq Genes instead, you will be given the choice between genomic, protein and mRNA.
          I bet the later works for you.
          cheers,
          s.

Comment

Originally posted by jiaco View Post
            From http://genome.ucsc.edu/
            click Tables
            then select the following form entries

Mammal : Human : Mar2006 (or the assembly you want)
            Genes and Gene Prediction Tracks : UCSC Genes
            knownGene
            region: genome

outputformat: sequence
            set an output file name
            use gzip compression

get output

on the next page, you can select mRNA which will splice out introns and start the download of all ucsc known gene mRNA sequences in fasta format.

(but this is really a question for UCSC genome browser, no?)
            yes, i've tried, it works, thanks to jiaco !
            and i'm not familiar with UCSC

Comment

Originally posted by steven View Post
              Yep indeed, looks like if you go to "Tables" then select group=mRNAs and ESTs, track=human mRNAs, then table=all_mrna, the output=sequence sends you to "Human mRNAs *Genomic* Sequence", which i understand is a genomic extraction based on the positions from the alignments, which is obviously not what you want.
              To get the original transcript sequences, try with table=RefSeq Genes instead, you will be given the choice between genomic, protein and mRNA.
              I bet the later works for you.
              cheers,
              s.
              yes, just as you mentioned, i need mRNA not genomic sequences,
              and in the paper i considered, they download data same as jiaco's suggestion
              thanks to steven !

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses