Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low cluster Passing Filter Percentage

I just finished the RNA-seq run on MiSeq machine using 2x250 v2 kit. The result is not very satisfied since there is only 74% cluster passing filter. Usually, the overclustering could cause low percentage of culster passing filter, but my cluster density is 986 K/mm2, which I do not think it is really over density (We ran Miseq sequencing several times with even higher cluster density, e.g. ~1,100 K/mm2, but we still could get pretty good % cluster PF, usually around 90%).
    Here is my thoughts, which could possibly cause low % cluster PF:
    1. Adapters on the both ends of my cDNA library.
    First, I used Clontech SMARTer PCR kit to construct cDNA library from the whole animal. During the step for the 2nd strand of cDNA synthesis and cDNA amplification, 25nt primers were used to synthesize 2nd cDNA stran and amplify the cDNA to the proper concentration for the following sequencing application. Therefore, after the cDNA library was made, 25nt adapters (from the primers) were added to the both ends of every transcript/cDNA sequence. Then, I used NEBNext Ultra DNA Library Prep Kit for Illumina to make the library compatible to Miseq platform.
    Illumina do the filter check for % cluster PF in earlier 25 cycles, as I'd read in some Illumina documentation. If it is the case, since the first 25 nt is adaptor, which will cause "low diversity" phenomenon, Machine probably "think" all my clusters are identical (Homogeneous library type) if only based on the first 25 nt. Eventally, this "homogeneous library" will cause low % cluster PF.

2. My 2x250 v2 kit was expired on Dec. 2014. Would the expired chemicals/kit cause low % cluster PF or, in other words, cause the poor quality of sequencing results?

Anyone has any idea about why I got low % cluster PF?
    Thank you very much.

I guess that you have sheared cDNA before library prep and that would increase library diversity reducing likelihood of #1 possibility. You can also check initial cycles diversity by looking at Base% plot in SAV.

Comment

It may also be worthwhile to look at thumbnail images and compare against other runs. While the MiSeq software might report a cluster density of ~900K, the number might actually be higher (in excess of 1100K) but the machine may not be able to resolve the clusters.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses