SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to install barcode indices for the Illumina Experiment Man Bioo Scientific Vendor Forum 1 06-16-2015 06:46 AM
Illumina base calling meher Bioinformatics 3 11-02-2012 12:21 PM
Do I have to install velvet twice to run color and base space? pepperoni Bioinformatics 4 03-06-2012 10:32 AM
Base qualities for Illumina Sequencing fongchun Bioinformatics 6 11-29-2011 12:04 AM
recalibration using second base call for Illumina drio Bioinformatics 1 03-04-2010 04:24 PM

Old 02-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
jbannonARK

Default Illumina Install Base

Hey Folks,
I do market research for a small start-up and I was wondering if anyone knew an efficient way to find Illumina's unit sales, for each kind of sequencer (HiSeq & MiSeq).
Illumina reports revenue quarterly and I can find pricing information online, the only issue is breaking down revenue across sequencer models. I've been combing through their earnings calls to find unit sale but there isn't much info there. They donít share enough to get a sense of the break down of the instrument sales revenue due to various models, which is another way to back into it.
Does anyone know a way to find out how many of each sequencer type Illumina has sold? Is there a list of customers available somewhere?
Related question: does anyone have a figure of how many genomics research labs there are in the US and globally?

Thanks in advance,

James
jbannonARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
GW_OK

Have you had a look at http://omicsmaps.com/ ?
GW_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
jbannonARK

I have looked. The issue is I want to watch their install base grow over time to see if there is a market penetration point after which their sales hit an inflection.

If omicsmaps had a way to look at snap shots or a time series of center updates I could use that, but there doesn't seem to be a way to access that other than manually copying over.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
jbannonARK

Any thoughts on the second question, # of sequencing facilities in US or perhaps globally?

omicsmaps suggests a number around 1K, but this doesn't account for centers that have not yet purchased a sequencer.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
GenoMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbannonARK View Post
Any thoughts on the second question, # of sequencing facilities in US or perhaps globally?
What is your definition of a sequencing facility? Does a lab/dept with a single MiSeq/NextSeq qualify? You have your work cut out, if you need to get a realistic estimate.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:45 AM   #6
jbannonARK

GenoMax: Yes it does count, and yes my work IS cut out for me! That's why I turned here for some help.

Elsewhere I asked a question about what drives sequencing purchases: http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...538#post160538

which gives a sense of my overall mission.

Even a list of the *kind* of facilities that purchase these machines (all kinds, from MiSeq to RSII) would be helpful.

Do you folks have some guidance here? Is it hospitals? Research labs only? both? private companies? All? None?

Thanks again.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #7
kcchan

You'll likely only be able to keep track of the service providers and university core labs who advertise that they have sequencing capabilities. As sequencers get cheaper a lot of smaller labs and stealth startups are purchasing machines for their research, so it's probably going to be very difficult to track those down.
kcchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illumina, ilmn, sales