SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dealing with super abundant transcripts in RNAseq kirby Bioinformatics 10 03-15-2013 06:12 AM
Single end RNAseq- no BAM file generated ibn.adam RNA Sequencing 0 10-28-2011 06:53 AM
RNASeq removing PCR bias schaffer Bioinformatics 3 10-20-2011 06:00 PM
Illumina quality bias 5' end mapardo Illumina/Solexa 4 08-17-2011 07:42 AM
Linker Bias in 454 Paired-End Libraries lzembek Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 06-03-2010 02:32 AM

Old 09-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
PFS

Default dealing with 5' end bias in RNASEQ

Hello,
I read about random hexamer priming bias in Illumina RNASEQ (see Hansen et al., NAR 2010, vol 38 no 12). Specifically, "There is a strong distinctive pattern in the nucleotide frequencies of the first 13 positions at the 50-end of mapped RNA-Seq reads".

I assume that is the reason why my FASTQC report does not show parallel lines in the first 13 positions for GC content.

How do you deal with it? Will trimming work?

Thanks!
PFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
PFS

I read more carefully the paper, and I understand that trimming the 5' end does not work.

I am curious to know whether this bias is of any real concern for differential expression analysis. If so, do you use Genominator?
PFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
sdriscoll
I like code

Personally I find the bias confuses things. After you run your reads through an aligner and process the abundances of reads aligning to genes you'll find 10's of thousands of genes with some expression. Figuring out which genes are "actually expressed" can be a little confusing. It doesn't help when the coverages are skewed due to a 5' bias. I've analyzed a run that had such a strong bias even genes with expressions in the 1000 FPKM range were not fully covered by reads. Does that mean the gene wasn't there? Probably not - but it certainly confuses the issue. I've also heard of the trimming idea - didn't work for me. We just took the expressions we got and went with it.
sdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
pmiguel

Does anyone see this with the Roche Rapid cDNA prep and 454 sequence? I would think so, because it also uses hexamers for cDNA synthesis/2nd strand synthesis. But if not, it might be that a minor change in the cDNA synthesis protocol could remove the bias.

How about using random 9-mers?

Or "balanced" 6-mers? (Where all 4096 possible six base sequences are synthesized separately, quantitated and pooled to ensure equi-molar amounts of each 6 base sequence.)

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Simon Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFS View Post
I am curious to know whether this bias is of any real concern for differential expression analysis.
No, not really. The bias will affect estimates of absolute expression, but once you calculate a fold change for a gene by comparing several samples, it should cancel out.

This holds if the patterns are the same in all samples. If they are not, you might get better results when adjusting for it. This is at least what Hansen et al. claim in their follow-up paper, a preprint of which you can find here: http://www.bepress.com/jhubiostat/paper227/
Simon Anders is offline   Reply With Quote