SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a way to get transcription factors from gene list? Jluis Bioinformatics 6 12-14-2012 02:46 AM
How to get transcription factors from gene list ETHANol Bioinformatics 1 09-01-2012 09:01 AM
List of all COGs/KOs/gene functions leknif Bioinformatics 0 06-15-2011 03:27 AM
Gene list for calculating coverage nseh Bioinformatics 1 05-22-2011 06:31 AM
Is a Gene mapping tool available? ritzriya Bioinformatics 0 02-15-2011 12:45 AM

Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
jarthur

Default Tool to take mapping to gene list

Hello all,

I am relatively new to NGS and have just mapped a series of reads to a genome using Bowtie2. As I understand, the SAM/BAM output contains the information telling me where the reads map to the genome. I now want to:

a) transform this to a list of regions where reads map i.e., combine all the overlapping reads that map to one part of the genome into a starting position (bp), ending position (bp), and the number of reads that map to that region

b) cross-reference that list of regions against the genome annotation to identify whether that collection of reads maps to an exon, intron, etc. and, if an exon, extract the relevant gene and transcript id

I am sure there must be a tool for this - probably several! I am interested to know what people use? Any relative advantages/disadvantages, key tips or tricks, etc., would also be helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Jonathan
jarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
chadn737

I'm assuming this is RNA-seq data? Are you wanting simply a count of reads mapping to a feature?

If so, then there are a variety of tools that can accomplish this. The two most commonly used are probably BEDtools and HTSeq-count.
chadn737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gene_id, tool