SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is ML/NJ phylogeny different from SNP tree? Salmon Bioinformatics 2 01-21-2013 09:38 PM
CREST/perl module Tree::Interval flipwell Bioinformatics 2 08-15-2011 04:48 PM
Tmap: how to use it to construct genetic map with large-scale SNP markers orctyr Bioinformatics 0 03-16-2011 01:11 AM
construct whole genome reference for HG19 foxyg Bioinformatics 3 09-08-2010 01:12 PM

Old 02-07-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
tianyub836

Default how to construct phylogenetic tree using SNPs

hi,
i am puzzled of how to construct phylogenetic tree using SNPs from re-sequence data.

may i extract validated SNPs of all to generate a artificial sequence and import it to MEGA or other programes?

any details will be appreciated!
tianyub836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
zmartine

"may i extract validated SNPs of all to generate a artificial sequence and import it to MEGA or other programes?"

That's exactly what you can do. It's not really even an artificial sequence, since the SNPs, by definition, are the informative sites that a phylogeny is based upon, i.e. all the other sequence would be is filler that is filtered out of by the programs.

The only issue with just using the SNPs outside of a genomic context is that you will not know where they are in the codons and thus cannot use amino acid sequences for any analyse,s or know if a SNP represents a synonymous change (amino acid remains the same) or non-synonymous (changes amino acid sequence). Knowing if there is an amino acid change can be important for functional/medical genomics, for more complex codon-based models use to build phylogenies, and for selecting neutral (non-synonymous) changes to look at analyses using the molecular clock.
zmartine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
themerlin

I found this link the other day that constructs a phylogeny from SNPs in kmers:

http://www.omicsonline.org/2157-7145...7145-1-107.php

You have to ask the author for the source code, but it appears to work with both assemblies and raw sequence reads.
themerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
tianyub836

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmartine View Post
"may i extract validated SNPs of all to generate a artificial sequence and import it to MEGA or other programes?"

That's exactly what you can do. It's not really even an artificial sequence, since the SNPs, by definition, are the informative sites that a phylogeny is based upon, i.e. all the other sequence would be is filler that is filtered out of by the programs.

The only issue with just using the SNPs outside of a genomic context is that you will not know where they are in the codons and thus cannot use amino acid sequences for any analyse,s or know if a SNP represents a synonymous change (amino acid remains the same) or non-synonymous (changes amino acid sequence). Knowing if there is an amino acid change can be important for functional/medical genomics, for more complex codon-based models use to build phylogenies, and for selecting neutral (non-synonymous) changes to look at analyses using the molecular clock.
well, thanks.
but will you give more details about constructing tree like how the SNPs and its position in chromosome are orgnized?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
tianyub836

Quote:
Originally Posted by themerlin View Post
I found this link the other day that constructs a phylogeny from SNPs in kmers:

http://www.omicsonline.org/2157-7145...7145-1-107.php

You have to ask the author for the source code, but it appears to work with both assemblies and raw sequence reads.
that is out of my understanding
Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
colindaven

Would it make sense to generate n artificial sequences with the SNPs and their codon contexts for
all strains of interest ?

Alternatively, I guess SNPs can be used as characters in a parsimony based approach ? Has anyone
tried this ?

Lastly, this program may also be helpful.

http://www.xavierdidelot.xtreemhost.com/clonalframe.htm
colindaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Bueller_007

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmartine View Post

That's only true for maximum parsimony. Maximum likelihood and Bayesian methods consider invariant sites.
Bueller_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
HerefordGuy

See http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2009/10/21/0904691106 for an example of using maximum parsimony to analyze SNP data.
HerefordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
mm.perrineau

Hi,
No idea how construct phylogenetic tree using SNPs ???
MM
mm.perrineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
NGS group

Default The workflow for creating phylogenetic tree by SNPs

Dear all,

I will really appreciate if anyone would share their workflow for creating the phylogenetic tree by SNPs? Is there any commercial software that can do it?

Thank you very much!

Victor
NGS group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Bueller_007

Haven't used it yet, but
http://beast2.cs.auckland.ac.nz/index.php/SNAPP
Bueller_007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
snp phylogenetic