SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-Seq: A new approach to bias correction in RNA-Seq. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-31-2012 03:00 AM
PubMed: Digital RNA sequencing minimizes sequence-dependent bias and amplification no Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-11-2012 02:30 AM
RNA-Seq: Improving RNA-Seq expression estimates by correcting for fragment bias. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 03-18-2011 02:00 AM
RNA-Seq: Length Bias Correction for RNA-seq Data in Gene Set Analyses. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-22-2011 02:02 AM
amplification (ligation) bias tea tree oil Illumina/Solexa 0 09-08-2010 07:02 AM

Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #1
seattle

Smile Hi, everybody, Do you agree amplification will delivery bias to RNA-seq

I am currently working with Affymetrix platform. We are evaluating the reproducibility of microarray experiments, finished pilot, training and test studies, with large cohort of samples. It seems to me that microarray technology requires high quality RNA, and RNA amplification, which always delivery bias.

On the other hand, I am very interested to receive quick messages from SEQanswers: whether RNA-seq technology provided by next generation sequencing platforms also demands high quality RNA together with RNA amplification. It could delivery some question to this platform.

What do you think?
Best wishes,
Xun

Last edited by seattle; 05-18-2010 at 10:25 PM.
seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
ECO
--Site Admin--

This would probably be of interest to you when deciding between arrays and sequencing.

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/1005....2010.248.html
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #3
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECO View Post
This would probably be of interest to you when deciding between arrays and sequencing.

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/1005....2010.248.html
There is written:

Quote:
Of the transcripts that weren't associated with known genes, most were either very short transcripts or found at very low levels both signs of simple background 'noise' in transcription. So these transcripts may have no function at all, van Bakel says.
I strongly disagree with this "reasoning".
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by seqgirl123 View Post
This site is useful as well for a collection of library protocols from Illumina: http://keck.med.yale.edu/microarrays...protocols.html
It gives pdf library protocols for the following:
Preparing Samples for Whole Transcriptome Profiling

Many thanks to ECO for creating and maintaining the forum. I do appreciate your attached link, and read the paper with great interest.

Illumina RNA-seq requires RNA with RIN value higher than 8. It seems to me that, to perform RNA-seq, it is doable to use samples from Clontech. But it is really challenging to apply this platform to identify predictors using real clinical samples, like tumor biopsy.
seattle is offline   Reply With Quote