Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assemblathon: Collaborative Assembler Comparison!

The folks at the UCDavis Genome Center are organizing a collaborative effort to evaluate and improve genome assemblies. This looks like it will be very informative in determining which assemblers perform well on what data types.

Find the Assemblathon here: http://assemblathon.org/

Thanks to Nickloman for bringing this to my attention.

I just found this like (Draft 1): http://korflab.ucdavis.edu/Datasets/...n_analysis.pdf.

Comment

The full results from the Assemblathon can be found at:
      An offshoot of the Genome 10K project, and primarily organized by the UC Davis Genome Center, Assemblathons are contests to assess state-of-the-art methods in the field of genome assembly....

Comment

Linked to Genome10K Project

Hi all,

This was actually a collaborative effort between David Haussler's group at UCSC, Ian Korf's lab here at UC Davis, and the UC Davis Genome Center's Bioinformatics Core. David Haussler initiated the collaboration to complement the recent Genome10K Project meeting this past March, and we discussed the results at the Genome Assembly Workshop attached to that meeting. There will be a paper discussing the results in great detail - it's in preparation now. Finally, the Assemblathon "competition" was meant to be the first of many; Assemblathon 2 is slated to start later in the summer and wrap in the fall sometime. As far as I understand, the Broad Institute and BGI are contributing novel sequence data from previously unsequenced organisms, to be used in Assemblathon 2.

Comment

Assemblathon 2 data will be released June 1 (a fish, bird, and snake). Groups will then have until September 1 to assemble the genomes. The results will be announced at CSHL Genome Informatics in November. These are the plans, and I hope we don't fall behind schedule. Please check out the website and join the mailing list if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by iankorf View Post
            Assemblathon 2 data will be released June 1 (a fish, bird, and snake). Groups will then have until September 1 to assemble the genomes. The results will be announced at CSHL Genome Informatics in November. These are the plans, and I hope we don't fall behind schedule. Please check out the website and join the mailing list if you're interested.
            How about adding some smaller genomes? Like one or two bacteria and one or two small eukaryotes (yeasts, fungi).

There is a definitive bias from the organizers of both the Assemblathon and dnGASP to "think big" whereas having a look at smaller things - which are supposedly easy - may also be very ... interesting.

B.

Comment

The first (and second) Assemblathon were born out of the needs of the G10K project. We aren't thinking big as much as we are thinking vertebrate. But you're absolutely correct: there are small assembly problems that are also important. We'll get there soon.

Comment

I'd also say depth is important.

Some assemblers basically take the approach of sheer depth alone is enough to ensure that any sequence with an error becomes irrelevant as there's probably another sequencing spanning the same region that is error free. This technique does indeed work, but it's very costly to implement. So some assemblies of lower depth sets would be nice too.

Then there are issues of library sizes, singular size or mix, etc. It's a large field to survey basically. Anyway more variety could be interesting. I suspect no one assembler will "win", but rather some will have their own particular niche.
                Last edited by jkbonfield; 05-19-2011, 05:48 AM. Reason: Minor grammar

Comment

Library type / depth issues

Some of the parameters of the data (library insert sizes, depths) are determined more by the parties who are willing to donate novel data "to the cause," rather than pure ab initio considerations of what data people would like to see (based on their own focus, or what kind of data is usually available to them). This is a little unfortunate, as it constrains the input to what a sub-population of the larger assembling community would prefer.

In addition, we hesitate to include too many options / sub-problems in the competition, as this increases the workload of the evaluators (who may or may not be funded for their Assemblathon-related efforts).

But, as Ian said, we'll probably get there in future Assemblathons, because the issues you mention are definitely interesting to many people, and may also have relevance for the Genome10K Project (metagenomic assemblies of microbes and vertebrate host?, mitochondrial assemblies?).

~Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jnfass View Post
                    ... (metagenomic assemblies of microbes and vertebrate host?, mitochondrial assemblies?).
                    Oh. My. God. Noooo! No mitochondria or chloroplasts.

Include mitochondrial and chloroplast data only if you feel sadistic and want to see assembly programs (and then evaluators) sweat: host contamination which was not filtered away; very high, but uneven coverage (maybe due to GC content); genetic variations in sequenced samples (like ploidy, but worse); repeats; etc.pp

B.

PS: let's see whether reverse psychology works
                    PPS: I still think that small and "easy" well-known bacterial or fungal genomes should be part of any evaluation ... simply because it also gives the evaluators and then readers of the results a warm and fuzzy feeling on how well actually the evaluation process works. I'll wait for Assemblathon 3 then.

Comment

I'd add to Joe and Ian's comments by saying that it's great the genome assembly community has a thirst for tackling lots of different areas of genome assembly. We'd like to address all areas of sequence assembly, but we had to start somewhere. Indeed, part of the goal of Assemblathon 1 was just to see whether it was even possible to get a group of people to all work on the same problem at once.

Going forward, people should feel free to approach the Assemblathon organizers ideas and suggestions, though ideally we'd like to hear from people who have – or will have – short read data that can be used in future Assemblathons.

Finally, I'd ask that if people want to be kept in the loop on Assemblathon discussions then they should join the Assemblathon mailing list: http://assemblathon.org/pages/mailing-list

I also write the occasional short blog post on the Assemblathon website which can be subscribed to as an RSS feed, and there is also the Assemblathon twitter account.

Comment

assemblathon 2

Data is now posted for Assemblathon 2, the submission date is September 1st.

Comment

Assemblathon 1: A competitive assessment of de novo short read assembly methods

I don't think I'm the first one to spot this in the press but thought it may be relevant to the thread.

An international, peer-reviewed genome sciences journal featuring outstanding original research that offers novel insights into the biology of all organisms

Comment

Hi All

I'm trying to reproduce some of Assemblathon 1 results and so far the metrics (N50 , NG50) I'm getting for SOAPdenovo are far from what has been reported. UCDavis people told me they don't have the parameters that the assemblers were run with. I emailed BGI but did not get a reply back. Any suggestions on parameter setting( K-mer size, which libraries to use for contig, scaffold creation and....) for Assemblathon 1 data?
                            Thanks in advance.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                            • seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                            0 responses