No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIRA3 multiple input files from same tech

Hello,

I am interested in doing a MIRA assembly with two sets of reads from two separate 454 runs. I am wondering if I can feed the runs individually, i.e., post both fastas with related qual files as long as I have unique prefixes. For example:

First set: vh_in_1.454.fasta and vh_in_1.454.fasta.qual

Second set: vh_in_2.454.fasta and vh_in_2.454.fasta.qual

Or do I need to combine the reads and their relative qual files before running an assembly?

I think you need to combine them.

P.S. MIRA will accept a single FASTQ file rather than a paired FASTA + QUAL, which I personally find much easier to work with.

Comment

Yeah, I can do the fastq approach, but the files come from the sequencing service as SFF, reads, and qual. So I'd either have to extract the fastq from SFF or combine the reads and qual files. Just being lazy I suppose trying to use what is already supplied

Comment

MIRA will accept both a single fastq file or a single fasta file with its corresponding qual file.
        Just concat either of them. Just one input file per technology :-)

You might want to have a look at sff_extract (http://bioinf.comav.upv.es/sff_extract/usage.html).

Comment

sklages, thank you for the info. You're right, I could go back and extract the fastq file and then do the clipping, but it already comes clipped from our sequence service, so I will avoid reinventing the wheel and do the concatenate route...which I found pretty quick and easy via the unix 'cat' command.

Thanks for letting me know about the 1-file restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by grassgirl View Post
            Thanks for letting me know about the 1-file restriction.
            That restriction is about to fall in the next development release of MIRA.

B.

Comment

Thanks B. I was thinking of suggesting that as an upgrade, but it seems it is already in the works. That will be great.

gg.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses