No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare de-novo transcriptome assembly to genome reference guided assembly

Hi everyone,

I hope my question is not a total repeat of previous ones, but I did have a read through some previous threads and couldn't find a clear answer.

I have some RNA-seq data of a non-model species (fish), from a single sample that was sent for ~5GB sequencing and bioinformatics analysis at BGI.
    The data was mapped and assembled to a transcriptome using SOAPdenovo (very limited one, I know because of lack of repetitions and coverage, but it was a preliminary trial to have a basic idea what we're looking at).

That was roughly a year ago. Currently, a draft genome of a closely related species was published (contigs and scaffolds, not annotated).
    My question is, how can I use this reference genome to improve my transcriptome assembly, or to re-assemble it using that genome as a reference and compare the results to the de-novo assembly I already got.
    I would also like to use the genome as a reference to detect splice junctions and focus on alternative splicing of specific genes.

I have tried mapping the reads to the published genome reference using STAR, but I'm not sure how to analyse the resulting BAM files and how to use them downstream for assembly or comparison with the de-novo assembly that I got

Last, I would like to re-annotate the new assembly that I will get, what would be the best tool for it?
    I would prefer to use open source programs, and I have access to a strong linux server. (32 cpu, 1TB ram)

I am pretty new to NGS bioinformatics, but I'm eager to learn and would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Ido

Trinity is an all-in-one tool. It can use reference to make a de-novo transcriptome and it has a module to annotate the results:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses