X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapestation or Fragment analyzer

I am now about to buy tapestation of agilent or fragment analyzer of AATI

I will use both to QC libraries genomic DNA and RNA

We will not process many samples a week but we need a reliable low maintenance machine
    What would you recommend? Do you have any clear bias towards any one of them? why

We only have the bioanalyzer. I think it is preferable for us because the high sensitivity chips are more sensitive than the tapestation.
    That said, the down side of a bioanalyzer is that you have to run samples 10-12 at a time. So if you only have a couple of samples to run the reagent costs become quite outrageous. And the kits themselves have a limited shelf life, so that can make the cost even worse if you don't run the instrument fairly heavily.

--
    Phillip

Comment

I am making the same decision between a tape station and a AATI fragment analyzer. What did you end up deciding on this and why? Any information helps. Thank you!

Comment

I chose tapestation

It is much easier to operate. Other members of the department were very negative about the fragment analyzer.

Comment

Originally posted by shay covo View Post
          I am now about to buy tapestation of agilent or fragment analyzer of AATI

I will use both to QC libraries genomic DNA and RNA

We will not process many samples a week but we need a reliable low maintenance machine
          What would you recommend? Do you have any clear bias towards any one of them? why
          Why not a Labchip GX? It can run 96-well plates of samples and can perform regular NGS quant as well as genomic DNA assays.

Comment

Originally posted by shay covo View Post
            It is much easier to operate. Other members of the department were very negative about the fragment analyzer.
            Really? Did you run any samples? The TapeStation is easier to use than the Fragment Analyzer for small sample sets, but the benefits stop there. Data quality matters most. The lack of resolution, sensitivity, and dynamic range will limit applications and worse, force you to keep using slab gels and the BioAnalyzer you hoped to get away from.

See the attached restriction digest comparison of the TapeStation versus the Fragment Analyzer. Data speaks volumes, resolution is critical for sizing accuracy.

NGS read lengths are getting longer and longer. If you demo the two also explore sensitivity limitations for samples over 2 kb.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have used the BA a lot in the past and recently switched to the TapeStation. For convenience, it is pretty simple and accuracy is good enough to use for NGS library prep. My previous lab was using it for hundreds of clinical samples, after calibrating it with a BA. It also gives you the option between running a few or many samples, which can lead to reduced costs against the BA. If you run without a ladder and use expired tapes (they only last 2 weeks after first use), you can really cut down costs.

On the flip side, you can buy around 3 BA's for 1 TapeStation and the per sample cost may be higher (off the top of my head ~$41 for 16 sample D1000 tapes/reagents, $65 for HSD1000 tapes/reagents vs ~$30? for 1 x 12 sample BA D1000 chip/reagents). I also do notice the resolution loss between the BA.

Someone else in our group was an advocate of the LabChip GX, but she said prep time was ~50 minutes vs 10 minutes for the BA and about 5 minutes for the TapeStation. You can have results for the TapeStation in as few as 10 minutes vs 30 for the BA. That can certainly help with development.

No one that I know has experience with the Fragment Analyzer, but I do know we had one sitting idle, while BA's and TapeStations were being used frequently...

Some of the major downsides have been that with only 25 - 1000bp resolution for the D1000, some samples may bleed into the ladder and give inaccurate concentrations. The BA offered a chip with up to 7500bp.

We have used the gDNA tape only once and it was good enough to check the overall integrity, plus gave a DIN number for accuracy. Based on seqdx, if you need the resolution, it looks like that might be a problem.
              Last edited by Ingeneious; 06-18-2015, 10:46 AM.

Comment

New tape station, 4200, to be released soon, likely shipping in September. May be wise to wait and see what the offer is....

Looks like it will be capable of running 96 samples in "walk away" mode.

Comment

Yeah, my boss said a new one was coming out that would do 96 samples. Good to hear details.

Comment

The comment about Labchip GX prep time is silly. I have used both the BA and the GX, and the latter requires less hands-on work and skill.

You would get to 50 min only if you take into account that you have to put the chip and reagents on room temp half an hour before using them.
                    Not to mention that you prep the chip once and then it's good for the whole day. You just add samples to the microplate. That certainly helps with development.

And I absolutely love the GX software.

Comment

So same as BA and TapeStation + 20min prep. What's the per sample cost of the LapChip GX with reagents/chips?

Comment

Unless you will have a very low throughput in the lab (i.e. always less than 10 samples per day), the reagents cost should be considerably lower on the GX. But the initial investment in the instrument is higher.

Comment

Originally posted by barrmur View Post
                          New tape station, 4200, to be released soon, likely shipping in September. May be wise to wait and see what the offer is....

Looks like it will be capable of running 96 samples in "walk away" mode.
                          Agilent should focus on the resolution and sensitivity limitations of the TapeStation. The instrument simply lacks the resolution needed for accurate sizing of large NGS libraries, and the lack of sensitivity for samples over 2 kb make it useless for single-cell applications such as Fluidigm C1 transcriptomics (Clonetech). Why spend hard earned capital funds on a system that can't handle the diverse assay requirements of a rapidly evolving field.

Comment

Originally posted by Ingeneious View Post
                            Yeah, my boss said a new and improved Winsol review was coming out that would do 96 samples. Good to hear details.
                            Oh really? Any idea when this is coming out?
                            Last edited by Mini; 02-15-2022, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini View Post
                              Oh really? Any idea when this is coming out?
                              Looks like it is already available: http://www.genomics.agilent.com/en/p...questid=859015

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses