No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glimmer vs Prokka

Hello,

I am wondering if there is some cross-over in the functions of Glimmer and Prokka. As I understand it, Glimmer is able to predict orf's and extract them. Prokka is is used for annotation. Does Prokka therefore also do orf/gene prediction also?

I've tried to see this for myself but am struggling to properly install Prokka. Glimmer seems to behave exactly as I'd expect.

Thanks!

Yes, you are right.
    Glimmer is just for gene prediction, while prokka is a kind of all-in-one tools, doing both, gene prediction (or, to be more accurate "feature prediction" as not only genes but also rRNA and tRNA prediction can be included) and annotation.

Comment

prokka uses Prodigal (http://prodigal.ornl.gov/) for its ORF predictions.

Comment

Thank you for the help. It was all the encouragement I needed to carry on and get PROKKA working and ditch Glimmer!

Comment

Good luck with Prokka installation. Though it is a handy tool, it has a scary list of requirements and I couldn't get over it in three attempts so far and gave up for now.

Comment

I ended up giving up installing it on my Linux laptop and did a clean install of Linux on a partition of my Windows computer.

Then installed on there and it worked... Didn't really SOLVE my problems but I can use it so I'll take that for now since it's the first step in my work.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses