No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add large bam files to Galaxy

Hi guys,
    I installed a Galaxy instance on my computer (it is a Mac Pro, 12 GB Ram, 2.6 GHz quad core intel Xeon). I start the server on the terminal, and them I type on my browse the address 127.0.0.1:8080, and then the Galaxy is open in my browser. I think this is OK until this point.
    The problem comes when I try to add BAM files (~40GB) to Galaxy selecting "get data" and then "upload a file".
    I select my file, select the file type, and execute.
    During execution, the process seems to be very slow (really revy slow).
    Since the galaxy is running here on my computer, and the data is already on my hard disk, I think is something wrong, am I right?
    Is there a way to copy the BAM files to a specific folder into galaxy directory?
    Thank you guys!

See this page for instructions on adding files to galaxy from local file paths: http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/...ibrary%20Files

Comment

Yup. The only way to add large files is as an admin. Get admin privileges (easy to do) then you can manage your data libraries very quickly and easy

Comment

Admin privileges

I was looking for information about how to get admin privileges, and didn't found a solution yet. I'll keep looking. If I do not find, I come back here to ask for help. Thank you a lot.
        (I am new on galaxy, still learning how it works)

Comment

Originally posted by bfantinatti View Post
          I was looking for information about how to get admin privileges, and didn't found a solution yet. I'll keep looking. If I do not find, I come back here to ask for help. Thank you a lot.
          (I am new on galaxy, still learning how it works)

Comment

"Setup admin user

To give a user Galaxy admin privileges, add their Galaxy login ( email ) to the list in the following config setting in the Galaxy configuration file universe_wsgi.ini.

# this should be a comma-separated list of valid Galaxy users
            admin_users = [email protected],[email protected]

When an admin user logs into Galaxy, they will see an "Admin" menu item on the top Galaxy menu bar which will take them to the Galaxy Admin page."

Comment

Problem

Hey guys, I have already added my user e-mail on that list as both you said, reloaded the server (sh run.sh --reload) and then 127.0.0.1:8080 on by browser. Nothing different happened. I couldn't find the Administration Menu.
              Trying to login with the e-mail, galaxy says: No such user... Did I do something wrong?

The e-mail I added to the list is the same I used to cadastre in Galaxy site.

Comment

Hi,
                I have a very similar problem (uploading fastq on my local GALAXY server taking extremely slow).
                Was your problem solved, bfantinatti?? If so, how??

Comment

It was slow because you are UPLOADING your local file to your local Web Server by HTTP protocol and then the Web server will save this file again to a new place, so the rest of the system can See it, a very nonsense operation, thus they suggest you to be admin then you can just tell the system where the local file is. Hope this helps.

Comment

No

I still did not solve the problem, Hiroki.
                    My problem is in this moment to create a admin account. I have already added my e-mail to the configuration file and nothing happens. I still can not log as admin.
                    Is there another operation to get admin access?
                    Thank you

Comment

When you create the local instance you can use it right away as anonymous user, without login, unless you disable this option in universe_wsgi.ini. To get administrative privileges as a user, you have to create that user, that is simply register yourself with the credentials you put in the configuration file. That worked for me.

Comment

Also, galaxy gurus recommend to replace the default minimal database engine with a real database, like PostgreSQL or MySQL if dealing with large datasets. It is quite a hassle though, at least it was for me, as numerous instructions not always worked on my machine, but it eliminated hangups and interrupted transfers.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks. So I understand I must to be admin user to handle large files on Galaxy.
                          But like bfantinatti, I still don't know how to be admin user....

Comment

As bfantinatti did, I edited universe_wsgi.ini by adding my email address and of course removed # from the line.
                            I reload run.sh and tried to log in with my email address. But it says "no such user".
                            Also how can I set the password??

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki View Post
                              Hi guys,

Thanks. So I understand I must to be admin user to handle large files on Galaxy.
                              But like bfantinatti, I still don't know how to be admin user....
                              No you do not have to be admin to handle large files, but you have to be to enable other upload options. As admin you can give permission to other users to upload files using FTP or from local directories. You also have to be admin to create libraries, add and manipulate datasets in libraries, etc, unless you give certain permissions to users.

On the left side of the menu bar in drop-down menu 'User' you can register as user and create password. If you do not see option 'Register', look in 'Security' section of universe_wsgi, there are several options concerning users. Obviously, you need to restart galaxy after modification of this config file. Let me know if the issue was not resolved.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses