Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ensembl gtf to gff3 for tophat

I found a number of questions about finding a gff3 format file for use by tophat and couldn't find any good answers. I found a few gff3 converters but they were part of larger packages or online tools. Since I'd prefer something simpler, I wrote the attached gtf to gff converter for use with Ensembl's gtf file.

Feel free to use, modify, or distribute as you need.

Gene
    Attached Files

Thanks a lot for the coding effort and for sharing your script! But are you aware of this one <http://song.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/song/software/scripts/gtf2gff3/>, which has been out there for quite a while? If yes, any improvements upon it? That tool works fine for me, although it does require a large amount of memory...

-- Leo

Comment

Yes, I had tried that gtf2gff3 script, but it wasn't working right for me. Maybe I didn't configure it correctly.

The script I posted has trivial memory requirements since it only holds one gene's worth of data in memory at once. All the exons for a gene are assumed to be located together in the gtf file, which seems to hold true for the Ensembl file. This script won't work for non-Ensembl gtf files without modification.

Gene

Comment

I see. Thanks for the explanation! The reason gtf2gff3 doesn't work for you is probably because you forgot to convert chromosome names in the Ensembl convention to the UCSC convention? I forgot that I also wrote a small script to do that (among other things to filter the downloaded GTF file to suit my needs) before running gtf2gff3 (with the default configuration). I guess the real difference is that gtf2gff3 doesn't assume any particular ordering of the lines so it loads everything into memory and tries to figure out appropriate gene models from there. Since Ensmbl GTF files do group things according to genes/transcripts, it is good to explore that property.

Comment

script looks great, need help for c elegans

Thanks for the script, looks great and works well for the human gtf. I'm working on c.elegans gtf files (from ensembl), and the ENSG* strings aren't there ... i'm not a regex expert and figured I'd ask if it was an easy fix to use the c.elegans gtf files. I like this script for it's simplicity, I could use the other one mentioned in this thread if need be. Here is a snippet, i've also attached it in case of formatting issues. Thanks!

-sf

I snoRNA exon 3747 3909 . - . gene_id "Y74C9A.6"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.6"; exon_number "1"; gene_name "Y74C9A.6"; transcript_name "NR_001477.2";
          I protein_coding exon 10095 10232 . - . gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "1"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding CDS 10095 10148 . - 0 gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "1"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1"; protein_id "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding start_codon 10146 10148 . - 0 gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "1"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding exon 9727 9846 . - . gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "2"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding CDS 9727 9846 . - 0 gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "2"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1"; protein_id "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding exon 6037 6327 . - . gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "3"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding CDS 6037 6327 . - 0 gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "3"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1"; protein_id "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding exon 5195 5296 . - . gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "4"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding CDS 5195 5296 . - 0 gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "4"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1"; protein_id "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding exon 4124 4358 . - . gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "5"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1";
          I protein_coding CDS 4224 4358 . - 0 gene_id "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_id "Y74C9A.3.1"; exon_number "5"; gene_name "Y74C9A.3"; transcript_name "Y74C9A.3.1"; protein_id "Y74C9A.3.1";
          Attached Files

Comment

See the attached updated script. I modified it to work with your C elegans file. I believe it works, but give the output a good look to make sure that everything is processed correctly.

Gene
            Attached Files

Comment

thank you!

Thanks very much, this works well. I had something similar but was getting hung up in the details. much appreciate people making these most useful scripts available - Thanks Gene,

-sf

Comment

thank you! (and a little bug?)

Thanks for the script! The C. elegans version is great for other GTF files downloaded from UCSC also.

I did notice what appears to be a little bug:
                push @trs, [@exons];
                should be added before the final
                process(@trs);

(I am not a perl expert, I'm more of a python type, so I may be wrong, but until I added this line the last record from the GTF file didn't get printed to the GFF3 file.)

-- Michelle

Comment

Bug fix

That was a good catch, Michelle. I'm attaching a fixed gtf_to_gff.pl. The previous version dropped the very last gene in the gtf file.

Gene
                  Attached Files

Comment

MT -&gt; chrM

You've omitted changing MT in the Ensembl GTF not to chrMT but to chrM for compatibility with TopHat.

Comment

Yeah, the MT/M thing is always an issue. Both MT and M will work, so there's not one that's right, you just have to be consistent from the beginning.

Gene

Comment

OK, fair enough.. I encountered the problem when comparing the SAM output with the GFF file from your script. Nothing a regexp can't solve, but it would be nice nevertheless if the file produced by your script were entirely consistent with the TopHat SAM output.

Comment

Hi telos,

Do you know that how to specify Tophat produce accepted_hits.sam?
                          After I run Tophat, why it only generate accepted_hits.bam
                          Thanks for advice.

Comment

Hi telos,

Do you know that how to specify Tophat produce accepted_hits.sam?
                            After I run Tophat, why it only generate accepted_hits.bam
                            Thanks for advice.

Comment

Its fairly simple to convert bam to sam using samtools.

$ samtools view -h -o accepted_hits.sam accepted_hits.bam

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses