No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reference based assembly from bam?

Hi,

I have mapped 100 bp Illumina reads to my reference genome and I wondered if there is any tool that can create an assembly of my reads from the bam file I created or if I have to start with the fastq files again using a reference based assembler.

Maybe I am missing something, but shouldn't it be fairly easy to assembly scaffolds from bam files?

Originally posted by lukas1848 View Post
    Hi,

I have mapped 100 bp Illumina reads to my reference genome and I wondered if there is any tool that can create an assembly of my reads from the bam file I created or if I have to start with the fastq files again using a reference based assembler.

Maybe I am missing something, but shouldn't it be fairly easy to assembly scaffolds from bam files?
    Velvet will take .bams as input, but it will treat them like fastqs. It won't use alignment data in the assembly, just the reads.

Comment

There are a few programs that do reference guided genome assembly if that's what you're looking for. I'm not as familiar with these tools, but a quick google search found a few: Mosaik, which supports bams: http://bioinformatics.bc.edu/marthlab/Mosaik

Also AMOScmp (or AMOScmp-shortread): http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...?title=AMOScmp

I know there are others, but again, this isn't something I do.

What are you trying to do anyway? Are you reassembling the genome a specific individual for calling variants, or is this transcriptome? Are you using a related species, or is this same species?

Comment

Thanks.
        I sequenced individuals of a different population than the one used for the reference genome. The two populations have distinct phenotypes and I primarily want to call SNPs. But since I have the aligned reads, I thought it would be nice and easy to assembly these into scaffolds as well.

I found this pipe

samtools mpileup -uf ref.fa aln.bam | bcftools view -cg - | vcfutils.pl vcf2fq > cns.fq
        from http://samtools.sourceforge.net/mpileup.shtml

and I wondered if the consensus sequence created here, is just what I was looking for. If not, what does the consensus sequence provide?

Comment

Thanks.
          I sequenced individuals of a different population than the one used for the reference genome. The two populations have distinct phenotypes and I primarily want to call SNPs. But since I have the aligned reads, I thought it would be nice and easy to assembly these into scaffolds as well.

I found this pipe

from http://samtools.sourceforge.net/mpileup.shtml

and I wondered if the consensus sequence created here, is just what I was looking for. If not, what does the consensus sequence provide?
          Well, it will recreate a genome for that individual, I believe filling in any gaps based on the reference, though I'm not sure about that. So, it just depends on what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallysb01 View Post
            I believe filling in any gaps based on the reference, though I'm not sure about that.
            The consensus sequence would then basically conceal any larger deletions or insertions if gaps would be filled with reference sequence and insertions would just end up in the bin as unmapped reads, right?

So I guess to end up with a proper assembly for my sample, I would need to start a reference based assembly from scratch using something like Velvet.

Comment

The consensus sequence would then basically conceal any larger deletions or insertions if gaps would be filled with reference sequence and insertions would just end up in the bin as unmapped reads, right?

So I guess to end up with a proper assembly for my sample, I would need to start a reference based assembly from scratch using something like Velvet.
              I'm guessing if it sees big gaps in aligned reads it will not assume that it is actually a large indel, so yes, de novo assembly or reference guided assembly is probably your better option if you're looking for larger structural variation.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses