Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No clusters or low intensity clusters on MiSeq runs

We are experiencing problems with MiSeq runs (using 600-cycle V3 kits) at our core facility: Two week ago they ran a PhiX standard and a customer-prepared library- both worked fine. However, when they ran another library (from source A) and got no clusters. After that they rebooted the instrument and performed another volume test, which passed. Then they ran our sample. Again, the clusters had very low intensity and none of them passed filter. The clusters just didn't look right to them. I am attaching the RunInfo and RunParameter files here. We would appreciate any inputs.
    Attached Files

Here is the message from Illumina:
    "I can't say for sure if the run is over-clustered, but it does look like it is low diversity and perhaps a lack of PHiX caused it to loose focus. Depending on what the library is, I would recommend double checking the primers and the PhiX spike in".

Comment

Recommendation from Illumina is clear and your facility needs to follow it. Spike phiX in the next run, if that was not done (it sounds like it was not). That is the only way to allow runs with low nucleotide diversity to go through.

Comment

What kind of libraries are they?

We had a non-standard library from a customer a few months ago that would kill the whole flowcell, PhiX and all. I discussed it here. Illumina speculated that there might have been some PCR primer that didn't get cleaned out that was preventing the libraries from annealing. A bead cleanup of the library eventually sorted it out.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          Recommendation from Illumina is clear and your facility needs to follow it. Spike phiX in the next run, if that was not done (it sounds like it was not). That is the only way to allow runs with low nucleotide diversity to go through.
          PhiX was added at 30%. Is there a way to tell whether the PhiX added was bad (degraded)?

Comment

Originally posted by GW_OK View Post
            What kind of libraries are they?

We had a non-standard library from a customer a few months ago that would kill the whole flowcell, PhiX and all. I discussed it here. Illumina speculated that there might have been some PCR primer that didn't get cleaned out that was preventing the libraries from annealing. A bead cleanup of the library eventually sorted it out.
            The library is the mixtures of 16S and ITS amplicons. We prepared the library following The Schloss Lab Protocol and we had no problem for previous runs -even at 5% PhiX.

Comment

I'd try doing a bead cleanup and reloading.

Comment

No problem with previous runs in 2013 and 2014, but could not get high quality sequences since 2015.

Comment

What were the cluster densities like, when you did get clusters to form? What was the pass filter?

Comment

On another poor run at end of 2015: cluster density (775 +/- 49 k/mm2) with 81.8% PF. Summary graphs attached.
                    Attached Files

Comment

@phyllosphere: Have you seen this thread for 2x300 runs (http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59558) on MiSeq. Not directly related to your original post but something to keep in mind. Great 2x300 runs with low diversity libraries are not going to happen with V3.

Comment

Thanks @GenoMax. Yes I read almost all the threads related to MiSeq here (desperate to move on with our microbiome projects). We did get four separate good 2x300 runs with low diversity libraries on the same MiSeq (when it was relatively new), but are hitting the wall now despite repeated efforts with higher PhiX. I suspect the poor Illumina kits manufactured after 2015, as well as some of the aged components of our MiSeq, all contributed to the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by phyllosphere View Post
                          On another poor run at end of 2015: cluster density (775 +/- 49 k/mm2) with 81.8% PF. Summary graphs attached.
                          I'd say this looks about par for the course for a v3 600 cycle kit, especially with low diversity.

Comment

Originally posted by phyllosphere View Post
                            The library is the mixtures of 16S and ITS amplicons. We prepared the library following The Schloss Lab Protocol and we had no problem for previous runs -even at 5% PhiX.
                            2x300 is longer than you need for the v4 16s and probably longer than you need for ITS depending on which primers you are using.

Was your phiX freshly denatured?

If you rerun, do a 2x250, 2x300 just don't work well.

ETA-wrote that before I saw you second run metrics. That looks great for an amplicon run on V3 (which isn't a really high bar, but I wouldn't be thinking about rerunning that). Have you clustered the data and it's bad or are you thinking it's bad just based on the q30 and PF%
                            Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                            0 responses