No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading MiSeq mate-pair in CLC Genomics Workbench

Dear all,

I'm trying to import MiSeq FastQ files to CLC Genomics Workbench (version 4 point something), and I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing. They're mate-pair data, so I choose mate-pair in the paired read information option. However, I'm not sure about the "Minimum" and "Maximum distance". How can I know the right values to enter?

The sequencing technician told me that the read length is 250 bp and the insert size is 2.9 kb. Do these values have anything to do with the minimum and maximum distance of the mate-pair information?

Your help is really appreciated.

Current version of CLC Genomics Workbench is 7.0. Is there a reason why you are using (i.e. do not have a maintenance contract) an old version such as 4.x?

Have a look at the CLC DeNovo assembly guide here: http://www.clcbio.com/files/tutorial...aired_data.pdf It explains the mate-pair data import on page 3.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

About why I'm using a 4.x version, it's just because that's what's available in our lab. About why that happens, I believe I should ask someone who is responsible there.

Thank you for pointing me to the tutorial. Unfortunately, I can't see any explanation on why we put certain values as minimum and maximum distances. Further elaboration would be really helpful.

Comment

Inserts in a typical library are never exactly the same size. You should check with the person who made the mate-pair libraries to see what would be an appropriate range to use.

CLC needs to know what distance it should allow for between the two read pairs as it tries to do assembly. So for example your 2.9 kb insert library may have inserts between 2.7 and 3.2 kb.

Comment

You mean the minimum distance should be 2700 and the maximum 3200? How did you get these numbers? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by sentausa View Post
            You mean the minimum distance should be 2700 and the maximum 3200? How did you get these numbers? Thanks again.
            As I said before you should ask the person who made the libraries (or QC'ed them) to see what the numbers should be. I used those numbers as examples. If you are not able to get exact information then you could try those example numbers out and see what you get.

Comment

Ah, I see. Thank you very much.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses