No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsual peak in a RAD seq library

Hi all,

I'm preparing RAD sequencing library with a protocol inspired by Etter et al, except that I use Amplicon Beads instead of a gel.
    Before sending to the sequencing platform I make a High sensitivity DNA chip (AGilent machine) to check the size of my fragment (normally between 300-800 base pairs).
    On most of my samples I got a big peak at about 3000 base pairs, something that I don't understand.

Firts I thought it was the beads. But, this peak appear only after the PCR step, it is not there before PCR or either after sonication.
    Is there anyone here that had the same problem ?
    Also, some others people had the same problem than I with a different protocol, the GBS one (Elshire et al), but the same machine (Agilent).

Thanks for your help,

Laura

I havent read that specific protocol but could hazard a guess perhaps. Do the large fragments occur after digestion?
    If so it could be large chimera formation via your sticky ends (if your protocol produces them). I know that this is an issue in the genotyping by sequencing protocol, and in ddRAD. Just modify the protocol and size select as in the ddRAD protocol. Then when you align to a genome you should know the distance between your paired ends. If this is for eg much bigger than expected, this is probably due to chimera formation.

I am guess taking a guess here
    Last edited by JackieBadger; 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laura.benestan View Post
      Hi all,

I'm preparing RAD sequencing library with a protocol inspired by Etter et al, except that I use Amplicon Beads instead of a gel.
      Before sending to the sequencing platform I make a High sensitivity DNA chip (AGilent machine) to check the size of my fragment (normally between 300-800 base pairs).
      On most of my samples I got a big peak at about 3000 base pairs, something that I don't understand.
      Would you post the image, please?

--
      Phillip

Comment

Thanks for your quick answer.
        Enclosed, there is the Bioanalyser profil displaying an unusual peak at about 3000 bp.

Those fragments doesn't appear after digestion. We made an agarose gel yesterday and there were no detectable amount of such fragment at 3000bp. It seems to be an artefact....but we still don't understand why this fragment appears only after PCR.

At the beginning, we also thought that was due to the sticky ends. However, the size of this big fragments is always the same (about 3000bp) whereas we should expect some size variation in this case.
        Attached Files

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses