No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second peak on Agilent HS DNA Chip Trace

Hi All,

We've been attempting to create an RNA-Seq Library using a Nugen NGS Target prep. The samples are PCR amplified for 15 cycles and cleaned using a Qiagen Gel Band Extraction kit. The samples were run on an Agilent HS DNA chip and we noticed an additional peak following the sample peak around 1000bp. A second gel band extraction was performed and a follow-up HS DNA chip was run...the peaks were still there! We then tried denaturing the samples at 96C for 2 minutes, but it only made the peaks worse.

We've been told that the second peak can be caused by too many PCR cycles - is this what anyone else has found? Has anyone else experienced this/have some insight?

Thank you!

AGTC Staff
    Attached Files

It is too much PCR. Have a look at one of my previous posts:

Techniques and protocol discussions on sample preparation, library generation, methods and ideas

This thread in general should answer your questions.

Comment

Very helpful, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mpalermo View Post
        Hi All,
        [...] We then tried denaturing the samples at 96C for 2 minutes, but it only made the peaks worse.

We've been told that the second peak can be caused by too many PCR cycles - is this what anyone else has found? Has anyone else experienced this/have some insight?

Thank you!

AGTC Staff
        Actually had not seen a double peak post for a while. Almost a feeling of nostalgia...

Note that your denaturation/renaturation result strongly supports the "bubble product" hypothesis over my "daisy chain" hypothesis. That is, the inserts all have the same sequences flanking them. Thus, kinetically, the most likely outcome are two unrelated library molecules annealing together at their adapters creating a "bubble" in the middle of the amplicon where the unrelated inserts will not anneal.

As to why that would run slower than a completely anneal amplicon of the same length, I have no idea. Or at least for agarose gel electrophoresis, I have no idea. I am pretty sure that single stranded molecules tend to run more slowly on BioAnalyzer chips than double stranded molecule of the same length. So the single stranded region in the middle of the amplicon would tend to cause it to run slower.

But as you probably saw in the other thread, pbluescript shows the double peak phenomenon on agarose gels as well.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Hi!
          I came across the same problem, you were describing in your thread when preparing ChIP-Seq libraries.
          What I dont understand is why can't you get rid of this second peak when doing gel out? I cut a 200-300 bp fraction as well as a 300-400 fraction, still when analyzing my library on the Bioanalyzer I see a second peak around 1000 bp.
          Can you or someone explain that to me.
          Thanxx

Originally posted by mpalermo View Post
          Hi All,

We've been attempting to create an RNA-Seq Library using a Nugen NGS Target prep. The samples are PCR amplified for 15 cycles and cleaned using a Qiagen Gel Band Extraction kit. The samples were run on an Agilent HS DNA chip and we noticed an additional peak following the sample peak around 1000bp. A second gel band extraction was performed and a follow-up HS DNA chip was run...the peaks were still there! We then tried denaturing the samples at 96C for 2 minutes, but it only made the peaks worse.

Thank you!

AGTC Staff

Comment

Originally posted by riehle View Post
            Hi!
            I came across the same problem, you were describing in your thread when preparing ChIP-Seq libraries.
            What I dont understand is why can't you get rid of this second peak when doing gel out? I cut a 200-300 bp fraction as well as a 300-400 fraction, still when analyzing my library on the Bioanalyzer I see a second peak around 1000 bp.
            Can you or someone explain that to me.
            Thanxx
            If you unintentionally strand-denature your amplicons during isolation from agarose, when they re-anneal, the statistically favored produce will be a bubble product. Bubble products can run at nearly 2x the apparent size of completely double stranded products of the same length. At least on Agilent chips.

During purification of your DNA from agarose, did you use a heating step?

If so, most likely that is the cause.

I should warn you that this double peaking phenomenon is more a curiosity or an annoyance than a real problem. So burning a lot of time on it is probably not warranted.

--
            Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
              Yesterday, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses