Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• number of contigs in velvet

hi all , what is the approximate total number of contigs we should get in a velvet assembly? I would like to know this because i did assemblies with various parameters but i always get more then million contigs..

Use VelvetOptimizer.pl

Comment

In a genomic assembly you should get exactly the number of chromosomes for that species or you've made a horrible mistake.

Seriously, i think you are beginning to shoot from the hip with your questions to this board. Post some more specifics or do some research on your own.
      --
      Jeremy Leipzig
      Bioinformatics Programmer
      --
      My blog
      Twitter

Comment

What are you trying to assemble?

Here are some numbers from CLCbio tool: http://www.clcbio.com/index.php?id=1413

Lesser, longer contigs are better, provided they are not incorrect!
        --
        bioinfosm

Comment

re

hello zingster ..iam very new to this kind of research and iam not expertise like you in bioinfo ....so only i have these kind of questions araises..im sry if iam hard..

Comment

This thread reminds me of something...thanks...(will post the idea in the Site Feedback forum shortly...)

Comment

Searching in the dark

Yes, it's better we know the exact chr number. But not all the organisms we know their chromosome. A good way is to align to a closely related organism and then to check the left contigs.

Originally posted by Zigster View Post
              In a genomic assembly you should get exactly the number of chromosomes for that species or you've made a horrible mistake.

Seriously, i think you are beginning to shoot from the hip with your questions to this board. Post some more specifics or do some research on your own.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses