No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GATK: Failed to load reference dictionary

Hi,
    When I use DepthOfCoverage of GATK, the error is 'Failed to load reference dictionary' .
    I can't get why.
    My command as below:
    $java -jar GenomeAnalysisTK.jar \ -T DepthOfCoverage \ -R refall/allRef.fa \ -I mapping/DNAnew.sorted.bam \ -o mapping/dcDNA.targetCoverage

Thanks

Have you used that same reference dictionary for other commands with the GATK successfully?

Comment

I think you might have to create the dict file manually depending on the GATK version. I see this happening every now and then as well. The extra-complication is that if (my version of) GATK can't read the dict file it will also create an empty reference index file. What works for me is the following:

Before running GATK:

1. test if the reference index (refall/allRef.fa.fai in your case) exists and if it doesn't or if it's of size zero, recreate it with 'samtools faidx'.

2. Also test wether the reference dictionary exists (refall/allRef.fa.dict in your case) and if it doesn't or if it's of size zero recreate it with Picard's CreateSequenceDictionary.

Andreas

EDIT: As pointed out by dGho 'samtools index' was meant to be 'samtools faidx'
      Last edited by me_myself_andI; 01-23-2014, 05:35 PM. Reason: corrected mistake: use of wrong subcommand

Comment

Hi, Andreas

I would like to thank you for your very useful information here. I got my similar problem fixed according to your suggestions.
        Actually, I have used the same dictionary for other commands of GATK successfully before. So, at first, i feel very confused why it can be used for some command but not others. Following your suggestion, I check my .dict and .fai files again, and i found their size is 0. Then i just deleted them. And type in my command. We donot need to use samtools or picard to generate these two files. The new version of GATK can generate itself. But i donot know why after running through a command, these two files turn to 0 size and we need to generate them again. That is weird. But my problem is solved. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by me_myself_andI View Post
          1. test if the reference index (refall/allRef.fa.fai in your case) exists and if it doesn't or if it's of size zero, recreate it with 'samtools index'.
          Your comment was very useful, but just for reference or for future readers, I believe you meant the following command to create a ref index:

samtools faidx refall/allRef.fa

Comment

Yes, that's right!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses