Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I can trust Pac Bio enough to profit

Pac Bio just hit $11.70 per share. I posted here recently to see if anyone could advise or opine on Pac Bio. I told everyone that the stock was headed to $11.70. Well, this price gave my group enough profit to buy a Sequel for free.

I know people will only complain to me, but like I wrote before, I feel that I still owe this forum for the help I received a long time ago.

Anyhow, here's what I wanted to know, if anyone is interested in answering (or even guessing/recommending): we need 3 Sequels; how likely would it be to purchase 3 units on the open market? Or does anyone know if Roche is planning to sell their versions? We have labs in San Diego, Geneva and St Kitts (yeah...I know...odd...but that's where we are).

Just because I like to be honest, my group went all in on Pac Bio. We bought an additional 75,000 shares on the dip into the $6 dollar range. We believe in this technology and its application (at least to what we work on). We are just hoping that the machine and its specs are for real. Why?...because that is the basis for our entire protocol and associated software.

This sounds crazy, but we are willing to pay $500k for each Sequel. We will contractually obligate ourselves to run the machines 25% of the time for your labs' runs. You will, of course pay for the kits but we will also provide the labor at no cost. It is a good deal, in our opinion. We are also willing to create one custom solution for your lab. For us, a custom solution is the entire kit (minus the chip from Pac Bio...in other words, the reagents) for 1,000 regions up to 20kbp each. We will provide enough for 1,000 runs and you can keep the kit.

I know that people are probably not going to respond. And I am guessing that the handful who do respond will just try to make fun of me. I will ask, like I always do, that if you are going to make fun of me...can you PLEASE try to be funny? I am burned out on the complaints, insults, criticisms and accusations I get here. I am just a guy trying to solve problems.

Also, I know Pac Bio people read the handful of comments in this sub. If ANYONE there is interested in contacting me, you know how to reach me. The price I am willing to pay is the same: $500k. But you can't have our solution.

Want another stock tip? Probably not, but here it is anyhow: VXX. I have been in it since $14. Highly speculative...but I expect it will hit $50 within 6 months. Probably much sooner. Oh...and bitcoin. Bitcoin is what started my group and gave us the money we needed to build our solution. Ok...sorry about that. Don't ever buy stocks or make investing decisions from some guy on the internet. If you hate me then watch VXX and bitcoin. If they plummet then you can feel better and make fun of me. If bitcoin hits $550 then we will take 4 Sequels. If VXX hits $35 then we will take 5 Sequels. If they both happen....expect another post from me.

Thanks!

Roche won't be selling instruments until 2nd half of 2016. If you're so desperate to get a Sequel why don't you try to re-build your relationship with pacbio? Or just gift a lab at ucsd 900k for the use of buying 3 sequels.

Comment

Originally posted by spore View Post
      Roche won't be selling instruments until 2nd half of 2016. If you're so desperate to get a Sequel why don't you try to re-build your relationship with pacbio? Or just gift a lab at ucsd 900k for the use of buying 3 sequels.
      Hmmm...not a bad idea. I feel that the UCSD lab must have a contract not to sell their machines, though. But I am going to follow up on this as a general idea. The key thing is that I need the machines in my labs. UCSD labs, to my knowledge can sequence for outside labs but cannot sell their machines. But maybe I am wrong.

Ok. Thank you for that! I will see how it goes. I just need to track down the lab that gets one early. Unless you already know who they are?

Yay!! Someone gave me a good idea!!

Comment

So you need the machines in your lab? You can't for example run the machine at the UCSD lab? I know other companies that have essentially "donated" tools to labs but then they're allowed to run their own stuff on it when they want.

There's potentially other options too. These days I know a lot of larger labs are hurting for money because of the changing landscape of government grants. You could propose to inject X amount of money to that lab, which they use to buy sequel instruments, and in return you own that lab space and can run the tool X amount of time. The benefit is they essentially get free sequels for x amount of time for their own lab members to use.

its hard to know who's getting instruments early beside roche and mt sinai. my guess is it would be all US providers who had multiple instruments or very good relations with pacbio. So potentially jgi or uc davis?

Or you reach out to pacbio again, saying sorry we got off on the wrong foot, and try to start over with them. The ideal would be to directly order from them. Ultimately they're a public company interested in making money so if you're persistent and professional then I don't see why it wouldnt be in there interest to enable you. Especially since you will be doing pretty good work with their tools.

I'm curious if anyone has information on how sequel is performing? They shipped their first instrument to mt sinai about a month ago. All I've heard is they had success sequencing with it. But no real details or rumors are floating around.

Comment

So you need the machines in your lab? You can't for example run the machine at the UCSD lab? I know other companies that have essentially "donated" tools to labs but then they're allowed to run their own stuff on it when they want.

There's potentially other options too. These days I know a lot of larger labs are hurting for money because of the changing landscape of government grants. You could propose to inject X amount of money to that lab, which they use to buy sequel instruments, and in return you own that lab space and can run the tool X amount of time. The benefit is they essentially get free sequels for x amount of time for their own lab members to use.

its hard to know who's getting instruments early beside roche and mt sinai. my guess is it would be all US providers who had multiple instruments or very good relations with pacbio. So potentially jgi or uc davis?

Or you reach out to pacbio again, saying sorry we got off on the wrong foot, and try to start over with them. The ideal would be to directly order from them. Ultimately they're a public company interested in making money so if you're persistent and professional then I don't see why it wouldnt be in there interest to enable you. Especially since you will be doing pretty good work with their tools.

I'm curious if anyone has information on how sequel is performing? They shipped their first instrument to mt sinai about a month ago. All I've heard is they had success sequencing with it. But no real details or rumors are floating around.
          Your advice is excellent. I REALLY appreciate it. I am going to work on this beginning Monday morning.

I may even contact PacBio again. But I can nearly guarantee you that they will never accept an order from us. Also, for whatever it's worth...expect a HUGE number of orders in the next quarterly report from PacBio...most likely sending the stock soaring. But again...don't invest based on some internet guy

Again, thank you for taking the time to write here and offering your advice. If there is anything we can do for you, please do not hesitate to ask.

Comment

So you need the machines in your lab? You can't for example run the machine at the UCSD lab?
            Yes. We prefer it in our labs. Labs steal every idea they can get their hands on in our experience. I come from a different field. Bio is the worst. Too much money and not enough smart people. Makes people just want to steal instead of coming up with it on their own. I know.... I know... That will make people mad here. But I have never seen so much theft of ideas in my life until I entered the world of biotech.

So...yeah...without trying to come off as being rude: we only trust ourselves. Why? Cuz we have had some of our work stolen before. In fact, by people at UCSD. In fact, if we had not hidden and made fake data, we would never have caught them. The best part of their theft is that they still hit us up for more money after getting caught. Bio...you have to love it!

Also, I am guessing this part of my post will irritate many people here. I miss my old field...and I know...someone will tell me to get the heck outta their field and please leave them alone. I beat you to that response
            Last edited by math_guy; 12-20-2015, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Well that sucks you have been in an environment like that. I would hope pacbio would be open to reopening the conversation. They're a company selling a product and service and their job is to help the customers. I think eventually you will be able to buy directly from them. But they may play hard to get while they have a large backlog to fill? Or maybe they worry of your lack of pacbio sequencing experience and don't want early customers who may not use it correctly and then bash their product. This happened with the RS launch and almost killed the company. This could be solved by agreeing to sign an NDA or something.

Comment

Well that sucks you have been in an environment like that. I would hope pacbio would be open to reopening the conversation. They're a company selling a product and service and their job is to help the customers. I think eventually you will be able to buy directly from them. But they may play hard to get while they have a large backlog to fill? Or maybe they worry of your lack of pacbio sequencing experience and don't want early customers who may not use it correctly and then bash their product. This happened with the RS launch and almost killed the company. This could be solved by agreeing to sign an NDA or something.
                Yes. Another good idea. An NDA. I will ask them about that. But, like I wrote earlier, they won't sell to us. I made fun of their CEO (only cuz he made fun of us). And I did it here on this forum. Their VP hung up on me twice. They told me I would never be able to order from them. And then...the best...they told me I cannot use them to profit. That is the best part of all. I profited enough off of them to buy 2 machines and tons of smart cells for free. When Illumina buys them I will have made enough to buy 5 machines for free. And I have a good relationship with Illumina. They will definitely sell to me.

I am going to call Pac Bio tomorrow (because of your kindness in taking the time to write here for me and also because you advice was really good advice). No one will care but I will report here on how it went.

And yeah...it did suck that people tried to steal our work. The ironic part was that we tried really hard to give it away for free and no one cared. It wasn't even that impressive...what we did. It was just different from how people in this field would attack a problem.

Anyhow, again...I am thankful for your kindness. And even more thankful for your advice and direction. I hope I can repay the favor one day.

Comment

The University of Edinburgh and Cold Spring Harbor NY bought one according to twitter.
                  And Cold Spring Harbor is a service provider. May be worth contacting them since it looks like they should get an instrument in Q1.

At this rate it looks like the stock could hit $20 relatively quickly. You'll have enough money for a few more sequels lol

Comment

The University of Edinburgh and Cold Spring Harbor NY bought one according to twitter.
                    And Cold Spring Harbor is a service provider. May be worth contacting them since it looks like they should get an instrument in Q1.

At this rate it looks like the stock could hit $20 relatively quickly. You'll have enough money for a few more sequels lol
                    I wonder if they will be using their Sequels nearly all the time? I would kinda not be surprised to hear that they weren't using them full time but I wonder if they would be interested in running our samples when they are not scheduled....hmmm...I am gonna contact them and ask them. Why not. My guess is they tell me no chance but we'll see.

I was also considering just sort of following your advice on a lab in the US. Maybe there is an RS II lab that wants the Sequel but doesn't have the budget, and they can get Pac Bio to deliver to them quicker. Maybe I can purchase the machine for them and let them use it 30% of the time while making it available to me the other 70%. Is that a reasonable deal, do you think?

And yeah...we will see if they hit $20. Here is what could derail that: (1) Illumina has a machine waiting and just didn't announce it out of fear of leaving their existing customers dangling with recent but outdated technology...and now they have to announce (2) Sequel data comes back much dirtier than was expected (3) there is a long term supply chain issue with one or more components in the Sequel (4) no other labs and/or biotech companies understand the value of this machine...or....basically I just don't understand sequencing (honestly, that is possible).

Otherwise Roche or Illumina buys them and the stock goes to $25-35 and I start all over with the new company...but this time I buy 5 units and hopefully they take me more seriously than Pac Bio did.

Pac Bio is still giving me the run-around, since I told you I would detail how it is going with them. I contacted them via email. They haven't called me but they have emailed me asking me to give them a bunch of company background info as well as somewhat detailed financial records. I told them we will pay cash. We will pre-pay in full immediately upon order acceptance. They don't answer my questions regarding when I would be in the queue. They take way too long to respond by email. They don't like me. They never had the bandwidth to sell to me. They are gearing themselves for a sale of their company but they are trying their best to disguise that. As a customer, I can tell you that Illumina would be falling over themselves to take my $1 million order. This company is not in that mode...they are in the mode of faking everything with regard to sales. Or...they have, literally, the worst sales team...of all time. I laugh when I read comments about their management team being so good. This is a company that is about to be successful because their only competitor is mediocre, in a market that is about to explode.

Ugh...they are so stupid. I wish I were the one negotiating on behalf of whomever buys them. If it is Illumina...my advice is to bid low...your only other competitor is Roche. If Roche outbids you then they are stuck with Smart cell technology. My guess is that will be highly constraining long--term. No sale means no cash flow for Pac Bio other than sales of this machine and flow cells. They already shut down the majority of R&D (according to their own records). So...yeah...they need to sell. And they only have one machine designed....and no money left. Oh...and they would need a real sales team. That costs money.
                    Last edited by math_guy; 12-28-2015, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I think it's a reasonable proposal. Academic labs always have budget issues so your offer would be reasonable to labs that lack the budget but still want to have cutting edge technology for research. Maybe UCSD is a good option since they are local?

I would keep pushing pacbio in parallel. They're at least answering your email which is a good step forward. Most companies are on holiday shutdown right now so that could be why things are moving slow. But I think if your persistent enough you will eventually get your instruments. It should be a no brainer for them.

Waiting for a buyout is risky. Since Pacbio is a public company it can take months to get all the paperwork and approval to finalize the buyout. So that could still push you out a few quarters.

Comment

For those (maybe one or two people here...maybe...) who followed this post: Pac Bio blew me off. They will not sell to my company.

They did announce that they have taken orders for 49 Sequels so far. My order for 3 Sequels can not have been included in that number (legally, at least ).

Stock fell to $10 this morning. I bought a few thousand more shares at just over $10.

49 Sequels is pretty decent. But I feel that it should have been closer to 100. I am guessing that many other analysts felt the same as me, which is probably why the stock price dropped.

Am I the only person who gets the value of this machine? I'll ask again (to no response): do I just not get sequencing? I already found out a long time ago that I ain't smart. But still...this is one that I just don't get.

Comment

Here are the issues I see:

(1) You are paying much more money (10X? I haven't looked into it recently) per base at a (raw read) higher error rate for PacBio reads compared to HiSeq reads.

(2) The instruments are expensive. All it takes is for Oxford Nanopore Technologies to reach approximately the same error rates as PacBio at the same or better reagent costs and it seems like it would be all over for PacBio.

--
                          Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                            Here are the issues I see:

(1) You are paying much more money (10X? I haven't looked into it recently) per base at a (raw read) higher error rate for PacBio reads compared to HiSeq reads.

(2) The instruments are expensive. All it takes is for Oxford Nanopore Technologies to reach approximately the same error rates as PacBio at the same or better reagent costs and it seems like it would be all over for PacBio.

--
                            Phillip
                            If Oxford solves some problems then, of course, they will be a true competitor.

And yes, I know that Sequel is more expensive per base...sort of. You see, this machine is more accurate. Much more accurate. That is where the Sequel outpaces HiSeq's cost per base. The cost per base for high accuracy scans is much lower for Sequel. Not to mention the long reads. For us...and eventually lots of other labs when they finally figure it out (which, for the record makes me wonder why almost no one other than the labs who ordered the 49 units gets it) this machine is a game-changer. Is it the biggest game-changer ever? No. But it is pretty significant. If it works.

***Unless, like I often write, I just don't understand sequencing. However....I am beginning to wonder if others are also starting to get it. 49 orders...that is more than they have ever had in one quarter. And I expect that pace to accelerate as other labs begin seeing what this means.

Comment

Maybe PacBio rejected most of the entities trying to order the Sequel.

--
                              Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses