No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raxml

Hi,
    I don't know how the species' name should be in the phylip format for raxml. Even if there is no space in the name, I get the error msg

ERROR: Problem reading number of species and sites

I use either format below, I get this msg. How should the name appear?

Look forward to your reply,

Carol
    ---------------------------------------
    >1112142-1113254_NC_014152.1_Thermincola_potens_JR_chromosome,_complete_genome
    ATGCGCAGTTTGAAGGGGGTAATTTCCACATCTGCTCTGGAACTGGGGGTGGACTTGCCG
    GAACTGGA----GTTTTGCGTTTTGCTTCAACGGCTTCTGGCAGAGAGTAGG

>1112142-1113254 NC_014152.1 Thermincola potens JR chromosome, complete genome
    ATGCGCAGTTTGAAGGGGGTAATTTCCACATCTGCTCTGGAACTGGGGGTGGACTTGCCG
    GAACTGGA----GTTTTGCGTTTTGCTTCAACGGCTTCTGGCAGAGAGTAGG
    >1109551-1110576 NC_014152.1 Thermincola potens JR chromosome, complete genome

Phylip file format example for DNA is here: http://www.molecularevolution.org/re...ats/phylip_dna

That said, RAXML manual says this about names:

Prohibited Character(s) in taxon names are names that contain any form of whitespace character, like blanks, tabulators, and carriage returns, as well as one of the following prohibited characters: : or () or []
    Have you tried replacing the "." in GenBank ID's with something else?

Comment

No, your comment is correct but I think - in genomic coordinates should be replaced.

It seems that a name processing should be carried out for all species name which is an extra work. I don't know if it is the same for other phylogeny soft.

Many thanks

Carol

Comment

Does not hurt to try replacing the "-" too.

There are many interesting requirements for other phylogeny software packages (e.g. program truncating the names to first 8 characters so you need to make that part unique etc). RAXML claims that it will take any 256 characters but we shall see if you can get past this first step by doing the two replacements.

Comment

yes, it does. I should also have replaced the space, carriage return between name and seq, add number of seq and length of seq on the first line, etc. it means that the fasta format of the seq should be processed to be used with raxml.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses