No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One gene dominates RNAseq

Hi all,

Our lab recently performed RNAseq on bacteria, and found that 70-80% of the ribo-depleted reads come from one particular region of the genome in question. It's not any of the common house-keeping genes but something novel. It's also not a sequencing artifact, as we see it with qPCR.

We have now generated a knock-out of this region and are trying to determine the best way to assess differential expression in this knock-out versus the wild-type strain. We have arrays (preferential) but can also do RNAseq if necessary. The concern is as follows. Given that in the wild-type strain, 70-80% of the ribo-depleted RNA comes from this one region, then only 20-30% of the RNA will be from the remainder of the genome. Whereas in the knock-out, 100% of the RNA will be the remainder of the genome. So the question is how best to compare a sample of 20-30% to 100%.

Our options are as follows:
    1) using 2 colour arrays with 4x as much RNA from the wild-type strain over the knock-out, to hopefully compensate for the dominance in the wild-type by the one region
    2) use separate 1 colour arrays, and try to normalize by housekeeping genes.
    3) RNAseq, using 4x number of reads allowed for wild-type strain over knock-out.

I know there are bioinformatical approaches for normalization, but many assume ~ 1:1 amounts of RNA in samples. So I guess I have multiple questions.
    a) Can we get away with a 2 colour array of 4x the amount of cDNA on one over the other?
    b) If so, what's the best way to normalize in that situation, when it's not definitely 1:1 ratio of input RNA?
    c) Are there any other issues I need to be concerned about if I take this approach, or if we resort to RNAseq?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

I would advocate for spike-in based normalization in this case. If you put spike-ins at 1:1, you can scale the remainder of reads accordingly. See Revisiting global gene expression analysis. Cell. 2012 Oct 26;151(3):476-82. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2012.10.012.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Today, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses