No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA alignments and time

Hi all,

I am aligning Illumina 75bp paired-end reads with BWA. I did this before and it worked just fine. Now I've been trying to align a new reads file and it works fine while I keep monitoring it, but it is the second time that it just stops and judging by the size of the file generated it didn't finish processing all the reads, and I can stay here forever making sure that it keeps running...

So, I have a few questions... 1. In average how long does BWA take to align let's say 1,000,000 75bp reads and 2. Does this look like a software problem or my server is killing the process at some point?

Thank you

Is the bwa process doing anything CPU? I/O?

It should not take more than 5/10min.
    -drd

Comment

Yes, I can see it processing and its running in the background. If I log out and in again and check the processes it keeps running but eventually it stops without finishing... It is taking right now ~15 mins for every 250,000 reads approx...

Comment

when the error rate is high, bwa is slow. you may also consider to apply -q20.

Comment

How are people working off of bwa alignments to call snp/indels? I know of samtools and varscan, but people with experience on which to prefer and why...

In my experience, bwa/samtools was reporting many more events than maq followed by maq's snpfilter, which meant more false positives, which would be good to filter out.
          --
          bioinfosm

Comment

The equivalence to maq+snpfilter is bwa+samtools+"*varfilter*".

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses