No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find SNP's in various genes

Hi,

Im a biochemistry student and im having trouble answeing a question which my report is based on, below is the question;

A number of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) have been identified in the protein, apolipoprotein L1 (apoL1) which is just one member of a family of six conserved proteins. You will perform computer analysis to identify SNPs in apoL1 and the other five members of this protein family.

I just need to be pointedin the right direction, so far this is what i have:

Explore genetic variations and their clinical significance. Search known variants by gene, phenotype or location - or upload and compare your own data.

now im not quite sure how to "find" SNP's as i do not have ny sequences of my own. As represented in the link above, is this the way to identify SNP's, the mrna sequence NM_003661.3, is mapped onto the contig chromosome 22 sequence NT_011520.12.

Using CLustal W i aligned the mrna to the contig chromosome sequence but the SNP's are not on the sequence.

This is very confusing, can i actually find any other SNP or do i just use the ones on the dbSNP?

if anyone could help me in anyway i would greatly apprciate it!

Thanks

Firat

can anyone help me?

Comment

"perform computer analysis to identify SNPs" is vague. Ask your instructor for clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Renwick View Post
        "perform computer analysis to identify SNPs" is vague. Ask your instructor for clarification.

I did but he just said you line up the mrnas of all the apoL genes and you look for snp's.

which dodnt quite make sence to me as the question is asking for snp's in each gene rather than the differences between each of the apoL proteins.

my instructer is away till the end of this month and i need to get some work done hence here i am trying to find out what i could do in the mean time, i will see him asap but thats a while away and i need help now

what would you understand from this question?, i mean i could look for snp between a human apoL1 and a chimpanzee apoL1 by clustal W.

Im just wondering if you can identify snp's in an mrna sequence any other way but havinf mra's for lets say apol1 and comparing them to the human contig chr 22 sequence.

ahhh soo much work so little time.

thanks for you help anyway

Comment

seems you need to do some more reading!
          Here is the mRNA-seq analysis guide = http://seqanswers.com/wiki/How-to/RNASeq_analysis
          you would need to do the alignments on the entire genome, but then can limit variant calling to just your gene of interest
          --
          bioinfosm

Comment

Originally posted by bioinfosm View Post
            seems you need to do some more reading!
            Here is the mRNA-seq analysis guide = http://seqanswers.com/wiki/How-to/RNASeq_analysis
            you would need to do the alignments on the entire genome, but then can limit variant calling to just your gene of interest
            So what do I exactly align? The human genome against Other organisms.

I thought to find SNP's you would have lots of mRNA from lots of different populations then map onto ref human chromosome.

Or am I wrong. To identify what a person would say is a snp, they would need more than 1 different human DNA/mRNA to create a gene 'consensus' sequence.

I'm sorry im just having trouble getting my head around it but could you explain in a little more detail.

Thanks soo much

Comment

Anyone, I just need a little help?

Comment

Mmm based on the info you've given I think it could be just as simple as what he said: "line up the mrnas". The link you've given shows the entry "apol1 transcript variant 1" and the next entry reads "apol1 transcript variant 4". Of course I can't get into your instructor's head but from what I understood you could just download all those transcript variants for each gene in the family and line them up using Clustal or something.

Edit: Worthy of mentioning, differences between transcript variants are not really SNPs so I'm not even sure this is what you should do. I'm just saying this based on what he told you, not what I would actually do with the initial question.
                Last edited by vv85; 04-12-2012, 12:53 PM.

Comment

hello
                  I want to know the exon number of SNPs such as rs12569232
                  please help me
                  thank you

Comment

Similar question with answer:
                    Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Comment

Hi,

I'm a biological student who is having trouble answering a question which my power point is based on, below is the question;

Several single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) have been identified in the protein, apolipoprotein L1 (apoL1) which is just one member of a family of six conserved proteins. You will perform computer analysis to identify SNPs in apoL1.

Is there a possibility to help me guide this through please as I am struggling on this, please anyone who is free and can provide me with support.

Comment

Originally posted by Shina View Post
                        Hi,

I'm a biological student who is having trouble answering a question which my power point is based on, below is the question;

Several single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNP) have been identified in the protein, apolipoprotein L1 (apoL1) which is just one member of a family of six conserved proteins. You will perform computer analysis to identify SNPs in apoL1.

Is there a possibility to help me guide this through please as I am struggling on this, please anyone who is free and can provide me with support.
                        Hello Shina,

The problem is very vague and I don't know how much detail you are expecting for this. You could easily say that you would sequence the gene for apoL1 and then align it to the reference and identify SNPs.

Are you looking for specific tools you would use to identify the SNPs or a detailed experiment to identify them?

Comment

Ben3 specific tools into identifying SNPs in ApoL1 if there is a possibility in helping with this that will be great as I am unable to reach my supervisor and need to work on this beforehand before submitting it. Please, help me with this as I am looking forward to your lovely strategy and guidance into answering the topic.

Comment

I have the same question. idle breakout

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                            0 responses