No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Bismark methylation extractor

Hi,

Could I please get some advice on the following issue. I am working on targted capture genome-wide DNA methylation assay. The aligner I use is Bismark/bowtie2. After obtaining output from bismark, I isolated targeted regions in the bismark BAM output file by using bedtools 'intersect' between the bismark BAM output file and a targeted region bed file. I then ran the bismark methylation extractor. I obtained this error:

The IDs of Read 1 (HWI-D00356:33:C3D9RACXX:1:1101:1482:2234_1:N:0:TGACCA) and Read 2 (HWI-D00356:33:C3D9RACXX:1:1101:1551:2226_1:N:0:TGACCA) are not the same. This might be a result of sorting the paired-end SAM/BAM files by chromosomal position which is not compatible with correct methylation extraction. Please use an unsorted file instead

I have not done any sorting prior to methylation extractor so I am unsure about the cause of this issue. If I ommit bedtools 'intersect' and used bismark methylation extractor to process the bismark BAM output, the methylation extractor works well. It therefore suggests that something is going on with the bedtools 'intersect' which I am not aware of. Could someone please advice?

Thanks very much.

Hi Dipro,

If you run the methyation extractor in paired-end mode it expects read 1 and read 2 of a pair to follow each other line by line in the BAM file. If you disturb this R1/R2 order you would team up two reads that have nothing to do with each other, and thus features such as the --no_overlap detection would not work. Also, this will interfere with the strand origin of the reads. Because of this we included a check at the start that would not allow the methylation extraction of such files since it almost never is what you are intending to do. What appears to have happened with bedtools intersect is that it accepted some hits where only R1 or R2 of a pair overlapped with a desired region, but its partner read didn't, thus getting the read pairs out of sync.

As solutions to this you could:

a) run the methylation extractor first and simply use all data for downstream analysis

b) run the methylation extractor first and then filter on the position of the methylation calls afterwards (even though this might not work out of the box with bedtools intersect if it requires BAM files)

c) write a quick script to go through the filtered BAM file that reads in two lines at a time and sorts R1 and R2 into a paired-end file if they follow each other, and sort singleton reads into another file. Then you should be able to process both files in paired-end (-p) and single-end mode (-s), respectively.

I personally would probably stick with a) since it is the most straight forward method and you don't exclude data that is actually there. Let me know if I can be of any help with whatever you choose to do.

Comment

Hi fkrueger,

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll work on a) as adviced.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses