Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequence in (biological) duplicate or not?

Dear all,

I am wondering: how much (methodological) advantage would it have to RNAseq in duplicate (i.e. 2 biological replicates) compared to 1 single seq?

I do not have the resources to have 3 replicates (or more). Samples will be pooled set anyhow (from 6 subjects), but can pool into 1 (=6 subjects) or 2 (=2x3 subjects) samples per condition.

Of course, statistics will be still sub-optimal when have only 2 measures per condition compared to >=3 -- but on the other hand, the reliability should be better. I am mainly interested in differential expression, btw.

Thanks!

I was asking myself the same thing, but I could go to 3 replicates.
    Take into account that duplicates means twice as much work but not twice as much power. However, having 2 duplicates, you introduce noise but can not handle it/correct for it.
    If your duplicates agree, then you gain in power. If they don't, you cannot explain it.
    Merging the samples will bring some biological noise that could make you miss some signals, but on the other hand when you treat only one sample you have no way to spot incongruency due to noise.
    I don't know if I am clear enough... But I think it is better to have duplicates - but do not sacrify to much on coverage... -
    Still, the best improvment is from 2 to 3, and not from one to 2 replicates...
    This is really well explained in the manuals for DSeq and EdgeR. They advise to refrain from going for one replicate.
    What is your design exactly?
    Understand that you waste the whole money at the end if your design doesn't allow for a correct analysis...
    Good luck!
    Morgane

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      Specific design is: Two groups, 8 brain regions, 6 individual samples per brain region (mice).
      Individual samples can be pooled per 3 (i.e. 2 pooled biological replicates per brain region, 32 pooled samples in total to sequence), or per 2 (48 pooled samples to sequence).
      The fact that I want to analyse 8 brain regions makes the costs-to-number-of-samples-ratio so steep...

Comment

Be aware that triplicates do not require 50% more sequence data than duplicates. Given the same total number of reads, more replicates provide more statistical power to detect differential gene expression (i.e., 3 reps @ 10M reads is better than 2 reps @ 15M). See this paper for details. So the only added expense for triplicates vs duplicates is the cost of library prep.
        Last edited by HESmith; 09-15-2015, 05:38 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses