Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TopHat v1.1.4 - Empty *.bed files

Hello folks, I´m trying to run tophat on some 27bp single end illumina reads with a reference GTF for searching splice junctions.

My mapping reference is just the chr14 and so is the GTF that I retrieved from UCSC genome browser.

The problem is that in despite of not showing any errors in the log files, my *.bed output with the junctions is always empty!! So I´m in doubt if there is something wrong of if there really wasn´t any output what I find a little odd bacause of the long time it took to try to align the reads with the junctions. Take a look at the log file of the output:

Code:
    [Fri Nov 26 08:19:34 2010] Beginning TopHat run (v1.1.4)
    -----------------------------------------------
    [Fri Nov 26 08:19:34 2010] Preparing output location /usr/local/tophat//
    [Fri Nov 26 08:19:34 2010] Checking for Bowtie index files
    [Fri Nov 26 08:19:34 2010] Checking for reference FASTA file
    [Fri Nov 26 08:19:34 2010] Checking for Bowtie
           Bowtie version:                  0.12.7.0
    [Fri Nov 26 08:19:34 2010] Checking for Samtools
           Samtools version:                0.1.11.0
    [Fri Nov 26 08:19:34 2010] Checking reads
           min read length: 27bp, max read length: 27bp
           format:          fastq
           quality scale:   phred33 (default)
    [Fri Nov 26 08:21:25 2010] Reading known junctions from GTF file
    [Fri Nov 26 08:21:49 2010] Mapping reads against chr14.ucsc with Bowtie
    [Fri Nov 26 08:26:23 2010] Joining segment hits
    [Fri Nov 26 08:29:13 2010] Mapping reads against chr14.ucsc with Bowtie(1/3)
    [Fri Nov 26 08:34:02 2010] Mapping reads against chr14.ucsc with Bowtie(2/3)
    [Fri Nov 26 08:38:43 2010] Mapping reads against chr14.ucsc with Bowtie(3/3)
    [Fri Nov 26 08:43:27 2010] Searching for junctions via segment mapping
    [Fri Nov 26 08:43:31 2010] Retrieving sequences for splices
    [Fri Nov 26 08:43:35 2010] Indexing splices
    [Fri Nov 26 08:43:35 2010] Mapping reads against segment_juncs with Bowtie
    [Fri Nov 26 09:59:20 2010] Mapping reads against segment_juncs with Bowtie
    [Fri Nov 26 11:11:12 2010] Mapping reads against segment_juncs with Bowtie
    [Fri Nov 26 12:25:22 2010] Joining segment hits
    [Fri Nov 26 12:31:28 2010] Reporting output tracks
    -----------------------------------------------
    Run complete [04:12:35 elapsed]
    Aparently it´s ok, but if I look to the junctions.bed it´s shows only the title:

Code:
    track name=junctions description="TopHat junctions"

Please help, tophat parameters are default, i just changed the -p option to use all the cpus of my machine.

Thanks,
    Halian
    Last edited by lianzinho; 11-27-2010, 06:47 AM.

Hello there,

I am having a similar issue with empty junctions.bed file and was wondering
    if you were able to resolve it successfully. Could you
    share the solution?

Thanks,

Comment

Were either of you able to solve your problems? I'm running into the same thing with TopHat 1.3.0 -- all the .bed files are empty, save for the file headers. Currently I'm running using default options with the following exceptions:

-a 10
      -g 1
      -F 0

In desperation I may drop the anchor size to something silly, like 4, or raise mismatches to 2 or 3. But I was able to align the same data with an old version of TopHat with these same parameters.

Comment

Im having the same issue. Interestingly, when my input file has reads that are 50 bp, my *.bed files are NOT empty. However, when using a 36 bp input file, the *.bed files are empty.
        Any clues on how to fix this?

Comment

Figured a fix for this - the segment-length needs to be set to atleast half of the read length. else junctions wont be reported.

Comment

jjpurwar, do you mean to say that segment-length should be at most half the read length (or, alternately, that the read length should be at least 2 * segment-length)? That would seem to make more sense given the description for --segment-length in the manual:

"Each read is cut up into segments, each at least this long. These segments are mapped independently. The default is 25."

As I understand it, if segment-length > 0.5 * read-length, then only one segment will be made for each read (and the remainder discarded?), which is why it's having trouble finding junctions.

I got an empty junctions.bed (and a "junction database is empty!" message) when trying out TopHat with the default settings on some published RNASeq data with 35-bp SOLiD reads; I'm about to try a new run with segment-length set to 17 to see if that works.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
              Yesterday, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses