Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on RNA-Seq Depth

I am planning my first RNA-Seq experiment and wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I am going to be sequencing the transcriptome of 700 human lymphocyte samples on the Illumina HiSeq 2000 to look at expression differences, alternative splicing, and SNPs.

After looking through numerous papers, it doesn't seem like there is a clear consensus on the level of coverage needed. It seems like the majority of papers recommend a minimum of 30X coverage. Does anyone have any input on going lower or higher than 30X coverage?

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by KDS View Post
    I am planning my first RNA-Seq experiment and wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I am going to be sequencing the transcriptome of 700 human lymphocyte samples on the Illumina HiSeq 2000 to look at expression differences, alternative splicing, and SNPs.
    I'm not sure you really want to use the same library / sequencing strategy for both differential expression and alternative splicing/SNP detection. For DE, you want the most reads possible, and you get diminishing returns above 40 or 50 bases, while for alternative splicing / SNP detection you want long reads, especially if you're expecting novel transcripts, where normalized libraries, paired end and strand specific sequencing begin to matter as well.

Originally posted by KDS View Post
    After looking through numerous papers, it doesn't seem like there is a clear consensus on the level of coverage needed. It seems like the majority of papers recommend a minimum of 30X coverage. Does anyone have any input on going lower or higher than 30X coverage?
    How do you even calculate coverage of RNA-Seq? You'd typically have some transcripts with >1000x, and a long tail with very low coverage, and probably 1000s you miss entirely.

Comment

You should calculate the sequencing depth of a gene or an exon. It doesn't make sense to have a number representing the overall sequencing depth of RNA-Seq. DNA and RNA-Seq are different.

Besides, it is hard to believe that you will be sequencing 700 samples without knowing the differences of DNA-Seq and RNA-Seq.

Finally, your budget determines how you do sequencing. ~$100 per sample or ~$10 per sample will have entirely different designs. The more you spend, the more information you get. It is that simple. Some people would say 5 ~ 10 million reads is enough for RNA-Seq. That is totally bull**** and nonsense.

Don't bother the coverage illusion. Go find out how much money you are going to spend one a sample.

Comment

700 samples sounds like a lot, guess you'll be pooling many samples on the lanes unless you have good resources, one lane would give something around 400 million reads. Are you looking for anticipated highly differentially expressed genes from priori knowledge?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses