Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuffdiff FPKM and test statistic calculations

Hello, I have been lurking here a bit, but haven't posted yet, so bear with me.

I am trying to recreate the calculations of FPKM and the test statistic performed by uffdiff on two sample genes in order to better understand how my RNA-seq data has been tested (and thus better explain my data). I have been reading through the supplemental information from the paper linked on the Cufflinks website (Transcript assembly and quantification by RNA-Seq reveals unannotated transcripts and isoform switching during cell differentiation; Nature Biotechnology 28,511–515(2010)doi:10.1038/nbt.1621), and I have been able to get through part of the calculations, but am still stumped.

To calculate FPKM, I am using the following formula:

(10^9)*Xg*(gamma t)
    ~l(t)*M

Where:
    Xg is the number of fragments aligned to the gene locus (g),
    gamma t is the maximum likelihood estimate of the probability of selecting a fragment from a transcript (t) coming from that gene locus
    ~l(t) is the adjusted transcript length
    Σ from i=1 to t(i)) [F(i)(l(t)-i+1)]
    F(i) = probability that the fragment has a length i
    l(t) = the transcript length
    M is the total number of fragments mapped in that sample

My sample is run with single-end reads 50 bp long, so I simplified the ~l(t) to the transcript length - 49, and we ran cuffdiff using a GTF file that contains only the loci for one transcript for each gene, so I think gamma should be 1. One of my lab members wrote a program that assigns raw reads to individual genes, so I am using the reads from this program for the raw reads in the FPKM calculation. Using this data I get pretty close to the FPKM calculated:

Code:
    gene   Reads A   Reads B    Cuff A	Cuff B             Calc A        Calc B
    A	2	81        0.021956	0.823028        0.02116         0.795515
    B	1	40        0.007541	0.279201        0.007374        0.273778
    The difference is most likely from my assumption that the ~l(t) is only looking at the 50 bp read length, or the assumption that gamma is 1.

From this, I get into much more complicated math when trying to recreate the test statistic. The formula for the test statistic, from the supplemental data, is:

[log(Xa)+log(gamma a)+ log(Mb) - log(Xb) - log(gamma b) - log (Ma)]
    SQRT[ (psi a*(1+Xa)*(gamma a)^2)/(Xa*(gamma a)^2)+ (psi b*(1+Xb)*(gamma b)^2)/(Xb*(gamma b)^2)]

Where psi is a variance-covariance matrix that estimates the covariance between gamma (tk) and gamma (tl). As far as I can tell, tk and tl come from Tophat, which splits a read of length l into two smaller reads of length k in order to align across splice junctions. (This may be completely off base)

When I run the equations using these assumptions, though, I get a value far off from the test statistic calculated by Cuffdiff:

Code:
    Gene      T stat	     Cufflinks t-stat
    A          0.99128963	-3.42295
    B          0.898803344	-3.07139

So, I suppose my question is, is there a way for me to calculate (or even estimate) the psi function? Am I making faulty assumptions?

I apologize if this question has been addressed in a previous thread. I did try to find the answer in the archives before asking here.
    Thank you

Does some one has an answer for the second part of the question ?

Comment

Hi PRinlgler,
      did you come up with a solution?
      I'm also quite new and tried to understand what is the mathematical process from cufflinks to cuffdiff...why are the fpkm in cufflinks differnt from those given in cuffdiff??

thanks,
      ib

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses