No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Sample QC

Hi all,

I am a rookie in terms of NGS and am currently pursuing a project in Puerto Montt, Chile on microbial diversity and community composition. Due to lack of resources, Macrogen (in Korea) is performing the majority of the bioinformatics-preparation of amplicon libraries and sequencing. With a total of 18 samples, I was recently and unfortunately informed that 5 samples failed, with "no peak" in the Agilent bioanalyzer & Caliper Labchip GX DNA High Sensitivity portion of the project. I have attached the failed and successful results (three attachments) and am curious if anyone has any advice as to 1. what went wrong and 2. what could be the next step with these failed samples. Any help/advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Katie
    Attached Files

Hi Katie,
    Were the five that failed somehow different from the others as far as what they were from? Is there a possibility that those five somehow had a chemical present in the isolated DNA that could prevent amplification? Diluting the template DNA further sometimes helps with those situations. I would try either new DNA preps or further dilutions of the template DNA going into the PCR reaction (making the amplicon) until you can reliably get a PCR product that looks ok on a gel and go from there...

Comment

Hi Trexbob,

Thanks so much for your reply. The DNA was extracted from sediments, so there is definitely a possibility that the samples may contain inhibitors. I purified all 18 samples, but perhaps these five need a second purification? Two of the five failed samples are replicates from the same site; whereas, the other three are from different sites.

I will try diluting the template DNA first and go from there...

Thanks again

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses