Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwa reporting of multi-mapped reads

I am mapping some RNA-seq data with bwa and would like to do some analysis on where multi-mapped reads fall.

I know that I can extract multi-mapped reads by looking for mapq < 23 and/or the XA flag on the reads. However, I am wondering how bwa decides which location to report for a read that can be mapped to two different locations equally well. Does it choose a random one? Does it always report the first one? Something else?

Does anybody know what exactly bwa does here?

There is a command line argument: -R. If BWA reach this limit, stop searching further locations.

Comment

I don't think this answers my question. I want to know how bwa decides which of the location it reports as the primary alignment.

Comment

Its a random choice. Also when there are more than 1 equally "best" hits for a read the alignment gets a MAPQ of 0. When the author benchmarks the BWA tools he usually throws out alignments with MAPQ = 0 since those are random assignments.
        Last edited by sdriscoll; 02-14-2014, 11:39 PM.
        /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
        Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Comment

Great, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by sdriscoll View Post
            Its a random choice. Also when there are more than 1 equally "best" hits for a read the alignment gets a MAPQ of 0. When the author benchmarks the BWA tools he usually throws out alignments with MAPQ = 0 since those are random assignments.
            This is not correct - if there are two equal-scoring locations, bwa gives both a mapping score of 3 (equivalent to 50% probability), and so forth.

If you want to map RNA-seq data for organisms with splicing, such as eukaryotes, bwa is not the right tool. You should use a splice-aware aligner like Tophat or BBMap.

Comment

what about duplicate how BWA deals with duplicate , and Is it possible to give me the source of this info.

Comment

[QUOTE=Brian Bushnell;134401]This is not correct - if there are two equal-scoring locations, bwa gives both a mapping score of 3 (equivalent to 50% probability), and so forth.

what about duplicate how BWA deals with duplicate , and Is it possible to give me the source of this info.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses