No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FASTQ in Newbler

Hi all,

Looking for a little bit of advice for performing De novo assemblies on Newbler.

I have sequenced the same genome twice; once with Illumina and once with 454 (both paired end). I have performed a de novo assembly on the 454 data in newbler with relative ease but this yielded poor depth/coverage. I intend to introduce my raw illumina data to this (on newbler) to have a greater chance of reducing my contigs.

I have converted my sol.fastq files to .fasta and ran these alongside the 454 .sff files on newbler. Obviously, .fasta no longer contains the quality data resulting in all reads being assembled with none being excluded. Is there a way for me to use newbler with .fastq files or, alternatively, perform "trimming" of my files to remove failed reads prior to uploading and assembly?

I appreciate any feedback, i'm very new to this.
    Lewis

Yes, Newbler 2.6 supports FASTQ files. It will even understand Illumina paired-end data if the standard naming scheme (/1, /2) is used for read identifiers.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses