SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Illumina Directional RNA-Seq flobpf Illumina/Solexa 58 11-19-2015 04:18 PM
Directional RNA-seq: Illumina Tru-seq versus dUTP based method jazz Sample Prep / Library Generation 35 06-06-2013 11:50 AM
RNA-Seq: Directional RNA deep sequencing sheds new light on the transcriptional respo Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 06-30-2011 03:00 AM
Illumina directional RNA-seq protocol Herve Illumina/Solexa 10 06-13-2010 08:18 AM
Directional RNA sequencing protocols bluefin Illumina/Solexa 3 06-12-2010 07:35 PM

Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
huguesparri

Default Directional RNA Seq

Hello,
I would like to know if anybody tried the "Directional RNA Seq sample prep." protocole from Illumina.
As it looks a bit like the small RNA protocole, I would like to know if people faced the same problems (adpter dimers, etc...) or if it works better.
Thanks a lot for any feedback.

Hugues

PS: I joined the protocole.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Directional-RNA-Seq-Experienced-User-Card.pdf (240.3 KB, 334 views)
huguesparri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
snetmcom

it's not too terrible. Data seems OK right now. It's pretty easy to avoid most of the dimers, but i would say it's impossible to avoid all.

1-2 day protocol for an average person.
snetmcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
huguesparri

Thanks a lot.
We're goig to try it as an alternative to DGE protocole and for bacterial RNAseq.
huguesparri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
das

Yep. I tried it and it worked well. Let me know if you have particular questions about it.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
joa_ds

I understand that the directional RNA seq on illumina is only for mRNA? Is there a total RNA protocol/kit available somewhere?

I know SOLID has a total RNA directional sequencing kit, but i don't know if that is usable on illumina, well it won't be supported anyway

Looking for directional non-coding RNA seq possibilities and only a GA2 and 454 in our facility.
joa_ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
das

Smile

joa_ds:
I do not think that directional protocol is limited to polyA selected RNA.
Actually directional protocol is similar to the small RNA protocol and relies on RNA ligation to preserve strand information. The issue of using polyA selected RNA has to do with with the need to get rid of abundant RNA species like ribosomal RNAs. If you do not do this, 90% of your reads will be ribosomal RNAs, which is a waste of money. One can use ribo-minus kits from Invitrogen to get rid of ribosomal RNA. From talking to other people and a little bit of my personal experience with the kit, I would suggest to do at least 2 rounds of ribo-minus depletion. However, people are discovering that even when you remove ribosomal RNA, there are several ncRNA species that are very very abundant and suck up a lot of reads. So even with ribo-minus kit, number of reads necessary to get a comprehensive coverage of the human transcriptome will be pretty high. We estimate that with polyA selected RNA-seq at 60mln reads we are getting very deep coverage of the transcriptome, so without polyA selection you probably will have generate more than 100-150 million reads to get a comprehensive transcriptome profile.
I am hoping that one day ribo-minus kit will be expanded to include probes that capture not only ribosomal RNAs but also those abundant ncRNAs.
das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
joa_ds

thx a lot for the info ! I will let you know in some weeks if things worked out ok
joa_ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
Nik

Hi,

Yes, I've found this works well. However you have to steal from both sRNA and the mRNA kits as well as buying in other reagents. The key stage is the beads. Yep, 2 day protocol. Would say you start to run out of stuff pretty quick and it costs... As you use two kits you are left with bits missing and you can't do anything with. Roll on universal RNA kit illumina...

Also do any of you guys know where illumina gets the 5x frag buffer and stop solution. Will buy you a beer if so :-)
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #9
elaney_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Hi,
Also do any of you guys know where illumina gets the 5x frag buffer and stop solution. Will buy you a beer if so :-)
I think earlier versions of the protocol used Ambions RNA Fragmentation Reagents (AM8740). It's a 10x solution so would assume you could just dilute it down... no guarantee it's still the same one provided in the kits though but worth purchasing and testing
elaney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
smsm

Do you guys use AMPure beads for library purification or there are other methods. This kit is very expensive!
smsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 AM   #11
mx1970

Default RNA Sequencing primer

Does anybody know at which concentration is necessary adjust the small RNA sequencing primer to perform the primer hybridization for the directinal mRNA sequencing protocol?

Thanks
mx1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
Nik

Hi,

Thanks elaney k.

I use AMPure beads but be aware they are bring out a new set soon if not already. Cost, well you can do a lot of libraries from 100ml and start with lower concentration samples. So initially cost is not cheap but overall 50p a sample is not bad, I’m not sure how much a column is but I think its more. And you can use robot with beads.

The RT primer is 1:5. Although I think you mean just before it goes onto the GA. I believe its set to 100uM and you don't do a diltution on the primer you get from illumina but if you buy your own, like we all do, I do the dilution to 100uM and use 6.6ul (although I use 10ul just to be sure).
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
link1

Default advantages to mRNA seq

Does anyone have any results or new results using this protocol...
Any other advantages of this than regular mRNA seq?
link1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
kwaraska

Default Frag buffer and stop solution

The original mRNA seq kit used Frag buffer and stop solution from Ambion-now AB.

The Cat# is AM8740. Just be aware that the volumes are different than the Illumina protocol. I believe you use less of the straight from Ambion kit.
kwaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
som

Default product peak size

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have problem with too small product size?
I did closely follow illumina protocol, however, the product peak size I got is around 150 nucleotides, illumina claims that the product peak should be between 200-250 nucleotides in length.

Do I need to shorten the fragmentation time (as many paired-end protocols did)? so that I could get longer fragments.
Do you think there are some problems with the adapter ligation step or else?
som is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
cmawhinney

Hi all,

I am looking at the directional protocol now and see that it requires the v1.5 sRNA 3' Adaptor. Which adaptor is this? I'm assuming it is NOT the Small RNA 3' adaptor.

Thanks!
cmawhinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
som

v1.5 sRNA 3'adapter is a new version 1.5 small RNA 3'adapter

The v1.5 small RNA 3' adapter is specifically modified to target microRNAs
and other small RNAs that have a 3' hydroxyl group resulting from enzymatic
cleavage by Dicer or other RNA processing enzymes (illumina).

for more information about this adapter
http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265
som is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #18
protist

Also do any of you guys know where illumina gets the 5x frag buffer and stop solution. Will buy you a beer if so :-)[/QUOTE]

The 5X frag buffer in the published protocol is not the same as the 10X Ambion product. 10X product is a buffered Zinc solution and fragmentation is at 70C - metal based fragmentation method. The 5x solution is based on the Affy buffer (TrisAcetate + KOAc + MgOAc) and fragmentation is carried out at the higher temp of 94C.

Both buffers work well - we have not switched from the Ambion buffer and have made many RNAseq libraries both non directional and directional without issue.
protist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
cmawhinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by som View Post
v1.5 sRNA 3'adapter is a new version 1.5 small RNA 3'adapter

The v1.5 small RNA 3' adapter is specifically modified to target microRNAs
and other small RNAs that have a 3' hydroxyl group resulting from enzymatic
cleavage by Dicer or other RNA processing enzymes (illumina).

for more information about this adapter
http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!
cmawhinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
zorph

i just finished doing this protocol. I did directional RNA-seq prep protocol with a DSN normalization to get rid of the rRNA.
I did get a 150bp product, but illumina said it was ok.

The protocols worked well according to the bioanalyzer, but just to double check, I cloned 32 fragments into a vector prior to placing it onto the sequencing machine to see if my product and to make sure everything was ligated properly--which it was. I had 50% transcripts and 50% rRNA which, according to Illumina's recommendation, was good enough to go onto the sequencer.

Also, if someone finds fragmentation buffer, please let me know!!!!
zorph is offline   Reply With Quote