No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks low FPKMs and other wonders

Hi all

I am very new to RNAseq, and while I know perl and some R, I am not exactly a computer wizard.... so please bare with me - its probably something stupid
    We have paired end RNAseq data generated from a mouse tissue on Illumina Hiseq 2000, 50 bp, ~180M reads for each of the 4 conditions (both ends).
    We want to do several things, the first one is to identify and quantify expressed isoforms (preferably finding new ones as well), and call differential expression of genes between the conditions. Because of some size/memory constrains we run each lane using several files and merge the cufflinks assembly at the end (is that ok???)

These are the commands we used:
    tophat command:
    Code:
     tophat-1.3.0.Linux_x86_64/tophat -r 50
    .../data/all
    .../read1_X
    ..../read2_0
    cufflink command:
    Code:
      cufflinks-1.0.3.Linux_x86_64/cufflinks -g ..../mm9_refGene
    ..../accepted_hits.bam
    cuffmerge command:
    Code:
    cuffmerge -s ..../all.fa -g ..../mm9_refGene assemblies.txt
    1. After running Tophat+Cufflinks we get very low FPKM values (from 4.96066e-324.... to ~32), with FPKM_lo and FPKM_hi being 0 for all - this makes no sense to me, but may be I am absolutely wrong....? Can that happen if the tophat insert size is not accurate? (I am asking because we first run the Tophat with r -200, which was too large, and all insert sizes in sam files were 0, we the rerun using a new version of Tophat (1.3.0) with -r 50 (which is smaller than true) and used insert size column to estimate the parameter (which seems to be ~120) - this is being processed).

2. Is there a simple way to get summary data for how many known genes are expressed, and how many known and new isoforms of these genes were identified? Are there novel transcripts (not from known genes) and how many? Is there confidence criteria for these expression values?

3. Also, at first we did something much more simple minded - we used a different aligner (Mr/Mrs Fasta) to map the reads to the mouse genome - without using the pairing info
    and calculated RPKM values. These have absolutely no relation to the FPKM values from Cufflinks (which we suspect are not right anyway).....

Thanks in advance for the help
    Yehudit
    Yu

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses