Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's in solexa's control lane

I have been told that the phix genome used in solexa's control lane should be free of SNP, which means the reads should be exactly mapped to the phix genome if there is no sequencing eror, but as far as I know, Phix is a bacteria, which should have a high mutation rate, then how could they know no SNP in the control lane?

I found actually there are some SNP have been found, But if it's possible to have two different phix genome in the control lane? which will influence the concensus calling rather than sequencing error ?

So, I really don't know how the phix DNA in the control lane be prepared.

Comment

PhiX174 is a bacteriophage. I guess there may be some snps developing over time, but as you mentioned, it probably depends how they maintain and prepare it. In the end, I don't think it matters all that much... some people don't use a control lane at all.

Comment

I used that data based on one assumption: only one genome there, I wonder to what extent it is true.

Comment

We've had control lane PhiX samples from a couple of different sources, including Illumina and home-grown. We do see a few differences, which isn't surprising.

One batch featured a single position (1301) which reliably produced A and G calls about 50% each -- presumably indicating a mixture of two mutants in that batch.

My advice would be to align and SNP-call a couple of runs, figure out what you've actually got and (assuming consistent results of that test), use that for your reference from now on.

OTOH, as ScottC suggests, a few differences probably doesn't affect much.

--SP

Comment

That's exact what we found, 1301, with equivalent amount of A and G.
            Actually, I am using this data to test my method to detect heteroplasmy, however, I am not sure whether the Phix data is clean.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Recent Advances in Sequencing Analysis Tools
              by seqadmin

The sequencing world is rapidly changing due to declining costs, enhanced accuracies, and the advent of newer, cutting-edge instruments. Equally important to these developments are improvements in sequencing analysis, a process that converts vast amounts of raw data into a comprehensible and meaningful form. This complex task requires expertise and the right analysis tools. In this article, we highlight the progress and innovation in sequencing analysis by reviewing several of the...
              05-06-2024, 07:48 AM
            • seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:35 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 05-09-2024, 02:46 PM
            0 responses