Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best extraction method for miRNA

I was looking in the literature the methods that people use for extraction of miRNAs for sequencing. I found that people use the mirvana, the trizol, miRNesy....
    In your view, which is the method that recover more miRNA? do you know if some of this methods has a bias for the different miRNAs?

Thank you

I have the same question; indeed, at least one paper have done some work on this matter but it is about exosome... since I work with biopsies, the matter of quantity is not much of interest for me but the quality and the representativity of the RNA is more of my concern. For example, when we extract with RNeasy or Qiazol, we have ratio 260/280 and 260/230 >2.0.

If we look at the figure 6 of the paper, there are many peaks on the bioanalyser that are common but in fig 6a, 3 techniques (Trizol, Trizol+Clean-up, mirCURRY) have an over representation of small RNA from 100-150nt compared to miRNeasy and mirVANA... what is the best profile to hope for?

Comment

I have had success with both mirVana and Trizol for mamallian cells and tissues.

Since we want do do whole transcriptome and small, we have just switched to the normal Trizol protocol because it keeps the small RNA fraction very well intact. If you only care about the small the mirVana works very well.

The exosome is a pain in our hands too, but that is on hold for us so we are not worrying about it now.

Comment

how did you measure your 'success' I mean, what get me worried about is the representativity, the bias that can be introduce by the extraction/isolation technique...

Comment

We get reproducibility from replicates, so we measure that as success.

Also publications. As for representativity do you mean numbers of small RNAs (diversity)?

Our systems are dominated by a small number of miRNAs highly expressed, but we see many others.

One thing to note is another reason we take the total RNA is because libraries will make cDNA for all sort of small RNAs so we find the library size selection criteria to be more important than the RNA extraction which we feel competent in.

I can make libraries that have are over 90% known miRNA, or I can change the size and get other interesting small non-coding RNAs.

Comment

Originally posted by mnkyboy View Post
            As for representativity do you mean numbers of small RNAs (diversity)?
            I meant: if we want to compare ncRNA or miRNA to their specific mRNA abundance...

how do we make sure that there is no overepresentation induced by the technique (again look for the fig6 in the paper cited up)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses