No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, it works fine. Additionally, I just tried it with -G but without the

\ --transcriptome-index=transcriptome_data/known \

part and it works. I'm guessing there has to be something wrong with the syntax. The folder is created too, but i keep getting the same error. Any other ideas?

Comment

Hi everybody! I'm new to this forum and to the RNA-seq world so I hope that my questions won't seem too naive to you!
      I'm trying to make my first tophat run, I have Illumina paired end reads and I want to align them to the human genome.
      I downloaded the pre-built index froma bowtie so I suppose that I don't need to use bowtie-build in this case, do I?
      Anyway
      this is the code I typed:
      $ cd /bowtie/
      $ tophat -r 54 --mate-std-dev 35 --solexa1.3-quals hg19 ~/RNA.seq.data/My.data/exp007.s_1_1.fq ~/RNA.seq.data/My.data/exp007.s_1_2.fq

And this is the output with the error message:

[Wed Jun 13 18:08:00 2012] Beginning TopHat run (v1.4.1)
      -----------------------------------------------
      [Wed Jun 13 18:08:00 2012] Preparing output location ./tophat_out/
      [Wed Jun 13 18:08:00 2012] Checking for Bowtie index files
      Error: Could not find Bowtie index files hg19.*

What can I do to fix this problem?
      Thanks a lot.
      Last edited by SilviaBCE; 06-15-2012, 01:35 AM.

Comment

I am having the same problem but I cannot even get the test_data to run, isn't the bowtie indexes in the same folder that comes from the zip? I have tried reinstalling tophat to make sure I did not mess anything up but it keeps giving me the same error (including the code that i inputted):

Wills-MacBook-Pro:tophat-2.0.3 wmyashar$ tophat2 /Users/wmyashar/Desktop/test_data/ reads_2.fq

[2012-06-15 13:37:18] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.3)
        [2012-06-15 13:37:18] Checking for Bowtie
        Bowtie version: 2.0.0.6
        [2012-06-15 13:37:18] Checking for Samtools
        Samtools version: 0.1.18.0
        [2012-06-15 13:37:18] Checking for Bowtie index files
        Error: Could not find Bowtie 2 index files (/Users/wmyashar/Desktop/test_data/.*.bt2)

Comment

For bowtie index problems: make sure to include a slash '/' at the end of the path when you export it in .bashrc
          export BOWTIE_INDEXES=/some_full_path/to_bowtie_indexes/
          Otherwise, when you run tophat you get missing index messages even though all the index files are properly created.

To billstevens: I had the same problem. One thing I figured is that tophat only checks for the presence of the folder set by --transcriptome-index. If the folder is there, even though content not complete, it does seem to ignore the --GTF flag and then fail when it discovers that the contents are not complete. So make sure to remove the transcriptome-index folder for the first time AND after each error message when you want to try something new. I could get it (--transcriptome-index) work with --bowtie1 option but so far I had many other issues with bowtie2 (unfortunately) towards end of the analysis when tophat-report is called in. I hope this helps.
          Last edited by Bulak; 06-16-2012, 11:45 PM.

Comment

When I get the below error message during tophat running,
            "Error: Could not find Bowtie 2 index files (...)"

I fixed it up with tophat command line like below,
            # tophat -p 12 /home/NGS_work/bowtie2/indexes/hg18/hg18 seq_1.fa

My folder for bowtie indexes is like below
            "indexes" folder > "hg18" folder > hg18.1.bt2, hg18.2.bt2, hg18.3.bt2, hg18.4.bt2, hg18.rev.1.bt2, hg18.rev.2.bt2 files

You have to specify the index title name such as "hg18" for the index path in the command line of Tophat.

If you have hg19 indexes files in the "Test" folder, you write command like below...
            # tophat -p 12 /absolute path to "Test" folder/hg19 yourSeqfile.fa

Comment

Hey Everybody,

The reason why the tophat couldn't find the bowtie indexes because you didn't specify the path in your working directory.

The easiest way you just make link to your working directory from the reference genome which already having the indexes sequence.

ln -s /path/to/your/genome/hg19/Annotation/Genes/genes.gtf .
              ln -s /path/to/your/genome/hg19/Sequence/BowtieIndex/genome.*.

Then, when you run from your working directory it could find those indexes.

Just my thought, hope this help!

Comment

Errors in Bowtie index files.

Hi everyone, I'm just new into RNA-seq analysis and this thread has been very helpful. However, I've been having difficulty in my alignment using tophat.
                [ooa4@cbsum1c1b009 rnaseq]$ tophat -p12 /home/workdir/ooa4/rnaseq/ bosTau7 SRR594497.fastq SRR594499.fastq

[2013-02-07 14:09:57] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.7)
                [2013-02-07 14:09:57] Checking for Bowtie
                Bowtie version: 2.0.6.0
                [2013-02-07 14:09:57] Checking for Samtools
                [2013-02-07 14:09:57] Checking for Bowtie index files
                Error: Could not find Bowtie 2 index files (/home/workdir/ooa4/rnaseq/.*.bt2)

My ls
                [ooa4@cbsum1c1b009 rnaseq]$ ls
                bosTau7.1.ebwt bosTau7.3.ebwt bosTau7.fa bosTau7.rev.1.ebwt bovine gtf files.gz SRR594497.sra SRR594499.fastq tophat_out
                bosTau7.2.ebwt bosTau7.4.ebwt bosTau7.fa.gz bosTau7.rev.2.ebwt SRR594497.fastq SRR594497.sra.1 SRR594499.sra

Can someone please help me?

Yemi.

Comment

It's exactly what the error messages tells you. You don't have Bowtie 2 indexes. If the files end in ebwt, then they are Bowtie 1 indexes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dario1984 View Post
                    It's exactly what the error messages tells you. You don't have Bowtie 2 indexes. If the files end in ebwt, then they are Bowtie 1 indexes.
                    Thanks. So what do you suggest I do? Should I go ahead and use the pre-built index files in bowtie website or I should build one? In anycase what are the indicators that suggests that it's bowtie2? Please forgive me for my Ignorance.

Comment

Error: Could not find Bowtie 2 index files (/home/workdir/ooa4/rnaseq/.*.bt2)
                      See the pattern in the error message. It ends with bt2. They don't have the cow index on their website, so you will have to make it.

Comment

index and gtf conflict.

See the pattern in the error message. It ends with bt2. They don't have the cow index on their website, so you will have to make it.
                        Hi,
                        I downloaded the bovine genome from this site http://hgdownload.soe.ucsc.edu/golde...sTau7/bigZips/ and I used the bowtie2-build to construct my index files. However, my gtf file was also downloaded from this site http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTables ( I used the latest version BaylorBtau_4.6.1/bosTau7). I faced a lot of problems during alignment with tophat and someone mentioned that chromosome numbering differs( for genome is 1 and for the gtf file chr 1). I don't know how to fix this. Can someone point out where I can get a gtf file that is compatible the site I got my genome from?

Please I really need your help as I'm new to rna-seq data analysis.

Thanks.

Comment

That is not true. I downloaded bosTau7.fa and had a look at the beginning of the file with R.

Code:
                          > readLines("F:\\bosTau7.fa", n=10)
                           [1] ">chr1"                                             
                           [2] "taccccactcacacttatggatagatcaactaaacagaaaattaacaagg"
                           [3] "aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAACATGTATCTATAAAGCTCACTAAAGCAAAGC"
                           [4] "ACAGTAAAATGAGGTATGGCAATAAAAGGCGTTAAATTTATCaaaaaaaa"
                           [5] "aaaaaaaaagtgctgaaaaattaaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaTATAGA"
                           [6] "GATAAAATTAAATTTTTGTATTTATTCTTGCCGTTGAAAATTATGGGCAA"
                           [7] "CTTTTCATTTTTTCAAATTTAATATTGTGTTACTCAAAAATACCCTAAAG"
                           [8] "TTGATCTCTGTTTAAATCTAGAACACTTTTTGTTAAGTTTATGTCGATAT"
                           [9] "GTCTTAGCTCTTTTTTTTAATTAGACATGATATTTTCTTTCATCACATTT"
                          [10] "TCAATATGTAGGAGAGCTAGTGATATTTGTGTAATAATTTTGTACTCGGC"
                          Note the first line. The chromosome naming style is the same as in the GTF file. Your problem is something else. You must show the exact error message you receive to get relevant help.

Comment

Bowtie error on tophat

Hi everyone,

Im new in RNA seq data analysis Im just learning how to install tophat, bowtie and so on, doing the troubleshooting of tophat recommended by their website I obtain this:

2013-02-18 16:10:51] Checking for Bowtie
                            Bowtie 2 not found, checking for older version..
                            Error: Bowtie not found on this system.

the line that I used is this:

./tophat -r 20 test_ref reads_1.fq reads_2.fq

Prevously I Installed bowtie2 and guessed only to change bowtie files to tophat directory was enough but doesnt work so what should I do??

Thanks

Comment

You need to have the path to the bowtie2 executable file in your PATH environment variable.

Comment

That is not true. I downloaded bosTau7.fa and had a look at the beginning of the file with R.

Code:
                                > readLines("F:\\bosTau7.fa", n=10)
                                 [1] ">chr1"                                             
                                 [2] "taccccactcacacttatggatagatcaactaaacagaaaattaacaagg"
                                 [3] "aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAACATGTATCTATAAAGCTCACTAAAGCAAAGC"
                                 [4] "ACAGTAAAATGAGGTATGGCAATAAAAGGCGTTAAATTTATCaaaaaaaa"
                                 [5] "aaaaaaaaagtgctgaaaaattaaaaaaaaaaaaaagaaaaaaaTATAGA"
                                 [6] "GATAAAATTAAATTTTTGTATTTATTCTTGCCGTTGAAAATTATGGGCAA"
                                 [7] "CTTTTCATTTTTTCAAATTTAATATTGTGTTACTCAAAAATACCCTAAAG"
                                 [8] "TTGATCTCTGTTTAAATCTAGAACACTTTTTGTTAAGTTTATGTCGATAT"
                                 [9] "GTCTTAGCTCTTTTTTTTAATTAGACATGATATTTTCTTTCATCACATTT"
                                [10] "TCAATATGTAGGAGAGCTAGTGATATTTGTGTAATAATTTTGTACTCGGC"
                                Note the first line. The chromosome naming style is the same as in the GTF file. Your problem is something else. You must show the exact error message you receive to get relevant help.

hanks Dario, let me be much more clearer. I downloaded the cow genome from the igenome in cufflinks website and I unpacked the tar.gz file. I created a link using the ln -s function to the gtf file and the genome. See below the result I got.

[ooa4@cbsum1c1b009 ooa4]$ ln -s ./Bos_taurus/NCBI/Btau_4.6.1/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome.*.
                                [ooa4@cbsum1c1b009 ooa4]$ ln -s ./Bos_taurus/NCBI/Btau_4.6.1/Annotation/Genes/genes.gtf
                                [ooa4@cbsum1c1b009 ooa4]$ ls -al
                                total 43380296
                                drwxrwxr-x 9 ooa4 ooa4 4096 Feb 18 16:05 .
                                drwxrwxrwx. 3 root root 4096 Feb 7 12:46 ..
                                drwxrwxr-x 3 ooa4 ooa4 4096 Feb 18 15:57 Bos_taurus
                                -rw-rw-r-- 1 ooa4 ooa4 27915273767 Feb 13 15:47 Bos_taurus_NCBI_Btau_4.6.1.tar.gz
                                -rw-rw-r-- 1 ooa4 ooa4 32225697 Feb 18 15:46 bovineee
                                lrwxrwxrwx 1 ooa4 ooa4 55 Feb 18 16:05 genes.gtf -> ./Bos_taurus/NCBI/Btau_4.6.1/Annotation/Genes/genes.gtf
                                lrwxrwxrwx 1 ooa4 ooa4 60 Feb 18 16:04 genome.*. -> ./Bos_taurus/NCBI/Btau_4.6.1/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome.*.
                                drwxrwxr-x 3 ooa4 ooa4 4096 Feb 12 16:31 index
                                drwxrwxr-x 3 ooa4 ooa4 4096 Feb 16 08:44 output1
                                drwxrwxr-x 3 ooa4 ooa4 4096 Feb 16 08:45 output1B
                                -rwxrwxr-x 1 ooa4 ooa4 5790 Mar 20 2012 README.txt
                                -rw-rw-r-- 1 ooa4 ooa4 6683898300 Feb 8 15:00 SRR594497.fastq
                                -rw-rw-r-- 1 ooa4 ooa4 995599407 Feb 8 11:48 SRR594497.sra
                                -rw-rw-r-- 1 ooa4 ooa4 7338744848 Feb 8 15:07 SRR594499.fastq
                                -rw-rw-r-- 1 ooa4 ooa4 1436256918 Feb 8 11:47 SRR594499.sra
                                drwxrwxr-x 4 ooa4 ooa4 4096 Feb 16 10:09 top_gtf
                                drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Feb 13 09:13 tophat_output2
                                drwxrwxr-x 3 ooa4 ooa4 4096 Feb 16 10:02 unique_output
                                -rw-rw-r-- 1 ooa4 ooa4 19337728 Feb 13 15:47 wget-log
                                [ooa4@cbsum1c1b009 ooa4]$ tophat2 -p 8 -G genes.gtf -o SRR594497_tophat genome SRR594497.fastq

[2013-02-18 16:06:49] Beginning TopHat run (v2.0.7)
                                [2013-02-18 16:06:49] Checking for Bowtie
                                Bowtie version: 2.0.6.0
                                [2013-02-18 16:06:49] Checking for Samtools
                                [2013-02-18 16:06:49] Checking for Bowtie index files
                                Error: Could not find Bowtie 2 index files (genome.*.bt2)

I'm using the trapnell protocol and I'm following it to the letter.
                                Any advice?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses