SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
duplicate reads removal vasvale Bioinformatics 19 01-08-2015 12:59 AM
High GC content and PCR duplicate ttnguyen Illumina/Solexa 0 03-07-2011 10:35 AM
Hands-on ngs workshop - human exome sequencing and microbial whole genome sequencing vikram Events / Conferences 0 12-08-2010 08:36 PM
bacterial RNA sequencing and rRNA removal dca Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 12-08-2010 11:23 AM
threshold for duplicate removal? mard Bioinformatics 2 03-21-2010 03:45 PM

Old 09-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
cliff

Default PCR duplicate removal for whole genome sequencing vs. whole exome sequencing

Hi

I did whole-genome sequencing and whole-exome sequencing on a whole-genome amplified (WGAd) sample and got 2% of reads removed as duplicates by whole-genome sequencing but 80% of reads removed by whole-exome sequencing.

I then did whole-exome sequencing on an unamplified HapMap control and WGAd HapMap control and got 25% of reads removed from the unamplified HapMap control and 50% removed from the WGAd HapMap control.

I used Illumina standard PE101 whole-genome sequencing protocol for whole-genome sequencing and NimbleGen exome capture (version 2) for exome capture followed by Illumina sequencing.

Can anyone share some thoughts on the big difference between whole-genome sequencing and whole-exome sequencing of my WGAd sample in terms of duplicate removal? All your comments will be greatly appreciated!
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
lletourn

We had the same issue at the beggining, hitting >60% dupes. We had to start with more dna and use a bit bigger fragment lengths to lower the values. We now typically get 20-30% dups.

Lets not forget that if you have 100x coverage with 100bp reads the chances of having 2 reads with the same 5' position and/or having 2 fragments having the same sequence is pretty high. So at high coverage many duplicates aren't duplicates.

How much coverage are you getting?
lletourn is offline   Reply With Quote