No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exon duplication & deletions

Hi,

We're soon to be getting a MiSeq and one of our first projects is to look at a small number of genes for a large number of patients.

We need to be able to identify point mutations but also hoping to be able to detect whole exon duplication/deletions by measuring read depth.

Can anyone help with what would be the best library prep method for this and also what sort of read depth should we be looking at to be able to quantify our dup/dels.

Thanks,

are you planning to do target enrichment or amplicon sequencing?

I guess exon duplication/deletion analysis is impossible for amplicon sequencing (as you need to normalize PCR products...), unless the patient as a homozygous exon deletion (which is highly unlikely).

For target enrichment it's not entirely unfeasible but due to pre-capture, and post-capture amplification, as well as different hybridization efficiencies I don't think it is easy to correlate read-depth to number of template alleles...

However, as I never did Illumina sequencing myself, there might be other options that could work. If you've found a solution I would be happy to hear from, since we are waiting for a MiSeq as well.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,

Our plan was target enrichment as I thought this may be more feasible than the amplicon sequencing for quantitation. Was wondering if the SureSelect or Nextera might be an option. I'll contact Illumina tech support to see if they can help any further.

Comment

Nextera isn't a target enrichment alternative, it is an alternative way to prepare the library for sequencing (however, for Illumina I think it is now the official way, as they bought the company which produced Nextera reagents).

Sureselect should work fine, but with all the mplifications you still get the bias making it hard to correlate.

Comment

I'd go with Illumina's new targeted cap system. It's a lot cheaper than Sureselect. As far the duplications go, were you thinking something like FPKM or something, ala RNAseq?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses