Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks/Cuffdiff different FPKM values for multiple genes at one location

I am doing my first RNA-seq for Drosophila melanogaster (I normally deal with human or mouse data). It turns out there are a lot of fly genes that have identical coordinates as other genes. In other words, the same location has multiple genes assigned to it.

If there are multiple genes that have the same exact coordinates, they should have the same FPKM values. However, running Cuffdiff using a GTF like that does not yield the same values for all genes.

Is there a way to force Cuffdiff to assign the same values to all overlapping genes? I could not find any arguments that may do that. Is there a proper way of dealing with such situations? Do I need to optimize the GTF file? I use the one from iGenomes, which is endorsed by Cufflinks, so it seems like it should be fine.

Hi,

The FPKM values for the genes are a sum of the FPKM values found for transcripts of that gene... so I guess you could expect differing values come from the difference in transcripts and the reads/fragments covering them.

To test I would look at the transcripts FPKM values for each gene that have the same loci.

Comment

Originally posted by davidblaney View Post
      The FPKM values for the genes are a sum of the FPKM values found for transcripts of that gene... so I guess you could expect differing values come from the difference in transcripts and the reads/fragments covering them.

To test I would look at the transcripts FPKM values for each gene that have the same loci.
      The FPKM values for multiple transcripts with identical coordinates are very different. Additonally, they can even be called significantly different between two samples and in different directions.

Comment

I stopped using cufflinks/cuffdiff 3 months ago as the latest version was producing implausible results. I would recommend using tophat2 + htseq-count + edgeR (or DESeq). I based my workflow on this nice tutorial: http://www-huber.embl.de/pub/pdf/nprot.2013.099.pdf

Comment

I agree with feralBiologist, but would switch to featureCounts instead of HTSeq-count for performance reasons (can be run multithreaded and does not require resorted SAM file).

Comment

Originally posted by rboettcher View Post
            I agree with feralBiologist, but would switch to featureCounts instead of HTSeq-count for performance reasons (can be run multithreaded and does not require resorted SAM file).
            Thanks for this suggestion. Have you checked whether HTSeq-count and featureCounts produce the same results? HTSeq-count supports certain counting models. Basically, the main issue is how to count reads that hit overlapping genes. I chose HTSeq-count because it is written by the author of DESeq and in the above paper has been "approved" also by the authors of edgeR. If featureCounts produces the same results than the switch would be painless but if there are differences than you need to look into the details.

EDIT: I realised that featureCounts is written by the authors of edgeR so it shall be straight-forward to substitute HTSeq-count. Thanks again to rboettcher.
            Last edited by feralBiologist; 11-08-2013, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by feralBiologist View Post
              Thanks for this suggestion. Have you checked whether HTSeq-count and featureCounts produce the same results? HTSeq-count supports certain counting models. Basically, the main issue is how to count reads that hit overlapping genes. I chose HTSeq-count because it is written by the author of DESeq and in the above paper has been "approved" also by the authors of edgeR. If featureCounts produces the same results than the switch would be painless but if there are differences than you need to look into the details.

EDIT: I realised that featureCounts is written by the authors of edgeR so it shall be straight-forward to substitute HTSeq-count. Thanks again to rboettcher.
              I suggest to have a look a their manuscript on arXiv where the authors made such as comparison. From my experience both tools produce similar results, see http://arxiv.org/abs/1305.3347

EDIT: another nice feature is that fC outputs gene length, so computation of RPKM is straight forward.

Comment

I am going to try these new methods out, thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses