Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing paired-end and single-end reads in Tophat: Do I have to reverse the SE-reads f

This is a cross-post from the Tuxedo Google group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...rs/BtI3_fp_n-o

And a follow-up from a previous post

Hope my question makes sense. I have paired-end reads, but after trimming some reads are left as single-end. I know that tophat can take a mix of paired-end and single-end reads, but do I have to reverse the single-end reads from the rightmost pair (usually called the R2-file or something similar) if they have no mate?

Thanks,

Jon

Not sure I understood, but all the reads are from 5' to 3' so you should not have to reverse the SE...

Comment

The paired reads are sequenced like this
      R1------> <------R2
      and I guess tophat takes this into account when it is fed paired reads. But when it only gets the R2 reads as single end, without knowing that they were part of a pair, will it still be ok?

Comment

If your R1 read is mapping to the forward strand, then the R2 will map to the reverse one...

Actually, the only interest to reverseComplement (not only reverse) would be if you did stranded RNAseq... but even in this case, if you map separately only the R2 reads, you can simply change the strand afterwards...

Comment

I should have mentioned that I do have stranded sequencing. So I guess I will map the R2 reads separately.
          Thanks!

Comment

Ok, then it makes sense to reverseComplement (or easiest, as mentioned, is to change the strand after the mapping for R2 alone...)...
            Actually, maybe to confuse you a bit more, the R2 (without reverseComplementing them, or witghout changing the strand after mapping), will be on the same strand than your gene (the coding sequence). R1 will be in the opposite one

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses