SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how use bowtie2 output sam file for magan5 input Ybanet Introductions 0 02-16-2016 01:48 AM
SAM file after running bowtie2 morning latte Bioinformatics 9 02-25-2015 02:23 PM
Convert Sam file with incorrect fields to Fastq using HTSeq AnneBiton Bioinformatics 1 06-06-2013 07:03 AM
Important fields of SAM file to be considered while compression nadir Bioinformatics 0 03-29-2011 09:58 PM
BWA: specifying SAM/BAM file header fields before read alignment? nora Bioinformatics 3 12-04-2010 09:11 PM

Old 09-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
JuliaEpps

Default AS:i and XS:i SAM File Fields (Bowtie2)

I've seen posts/advice online stating that multimapper reads can be identified when the AS:i: and XS:i: optional fields in a .SAM file (after alignment with Bowtie2) are equal to one another such as AS:i:5 and XS:i:5 as opposed to the presence of XS:i: alone (which can be added to non-multimapper reads in some instances).

What are these fields actually describing? The manual for Bowtie2 is quite vague and, for example, simply describes AS:i: as the 'alignment score' - but from where is it derived? What is it specifically describing? And why would it be a multi-mapping read when these fields are equal?
JuliaEpps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Brian Bushnell
Super Moderator

I suggest using required fields for analyses. It's not clear what the AS tag is supposed to report, and the XS tag is custom with no official documentation whatsoever. However, the required MAPQ field is clearly defined; it is the aligner's estimate that the alignment is correct. So, a MAPQ of 3 or lower means the aligner thinks there is a 50% chance or less that the alignment is correct. Uniquely-mapping reads, therefore, will have a MAPQ of 4 or higher.
Brian Bushnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
mapostolides

A good explanation of those fields can be found here:

http://blog.kokocinski.net/index.php...summary?blog=2

Basically, AS is the alignment score, and XS is the "suboptimal alignment score", essentially a secondary alignment. If AS and XS are close or equal, then you are getting multiple alignments happening.
mapostolides is offline   Reply With Quote