SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
using bwa to map illumina paired end reads mikeworth Bioinformatics 6 08-13-2013 06:02 PM
How exactly do I use BWA with paired-end reads? prs321 Bioinformatics 3 06-17-2013 06:26 AM
Buffer overflow when aligning paired-end reads with BWA etwatson Bioinformatics 3 08-14-2012 08:23 AM
BWA alignment for paired end reads AvinashP Genomic Resequencing 2 06-08-2010 03:11 AM
Problems with bwa on Q2 trimmed paired end reads curious_mapper Bioinformatics 2 05-06-2010 02:44 PM

Old 02-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #1
scami

Default BWA and paired end reads

Hi guys
I am aligning some paired end reads on a reference genome using the "bwa sampe" command. The resequenced organism is the same species and ecotype of the one used to build up the reference genome and for this reason I was expecting a high coverage. I did not get a coverage which was higher than the one obtained by aligning different ecotypes and something else really surprised me: if I increase the edit distance I am supposed to align more reads on the reference genome. However I get the opposite behavior. I get the maximum coverage using the minimum edit distance (n=1). I was wondering: when a read map in multiple positions on the reference genome are they all reported in the .sai file which is generated by running the bwa aln command? When the bwa sampe command place the pared end reads on the reference genome does it do all the possible combinations between the multiple positions which are found on the sai files.
thanks for the help!
scami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
swbarnes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scami View Post
When the bwa sampe command place the pared end reads on the reference genome does it do all the possible combinations between the multiple positions which are found on the sai files.
thanks for the help!
No. Bwa will pick one position to report per read. It will try to select a mapping so that the pair in question has an insert size close to that observed in other pairs, but there will only be a single .sam line per read.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
scami

Default thanks!

Thank you very much for your answer. I appreciated it. Still I can not understand why if I increase the edit distance I get a lower average coverage. Isn't is unusual?
scami is offline   Reply With Quote