SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PubMed: What can you do with 0.1x genome coverage? A case study based on a genome sur Newsbot! Literature Watch 1 04-11-2012 01:18 PM
Targeted Genome Assembly for region poorly represented in reference genome? gumbos Bioinformatics 1 01-09-2012 04:01 PM
12th International Meeting on Human Genome Variation and Complex Genome Analysis marcowanger Events / Conferences 1 08-29-2011 08:38 PM
RNA-Seq: ENCODE whole-genome data in the UCSC genome browser (2011 update). Newsbot! Literature Watch 1 11-24-2010 01:08 PM
11th International Meeting On HUMAN GENOME VARIATION AND COMPLEX GENOME ANALYSIS HGV2009 Events / Conferences 2 07-24-2009 01:10 AM

Old 12-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
kmewis

Default Your own genome

Just a little thread to toss around some ideas!

If you could sequence your own whole genome and analyze it, what would be on the list of things you'd want to search for? Where (databases) would you compare it to look for SNPs of significance, or rearrangements that might give you some sort of information?

With all these companies now offering full genome sequencing and counseling, it makes me wonder what they'd be offering that a person with access to a sequencer and basic bioinformatic knowledge wouldn't be able to do on their own time.

$350k for my own genome is a lot more expensive than a bottle of whiskey and some DNA passed off to a sequencing tech is what I'm saying!
kmewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
lry198010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmewis View Post
If you could sequence your own whole genome and analyze it, what would be on the list of things you'd want to search for? Where (databases) would you compare it to look for SNPs of significance, or rearrangements that might give you some sort of information?
If I could do, I will search for the loci that contributed to the risk of asthma and relative disease. But, I didn't know how to get reference! Maybe I will sequence all the member of our family to trace the loci of asthma!
lry198010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmewis View Post
With all these companies now offering full genome sequencing and counseling, it makes me wonder what they'd be offering that a person with access to a sequencer and basic bioinformatic knowledge wouldn't be able to do on their own time.
You could probably get more information if you did it yourself. The reports that they give only include risk alleles for a hand-full of diseases from what I have seen, depends on the vendor I guess tho.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote