SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-Seq: A new approach to bias correction in RNA-Seq. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-31-2012 03:00 AM
RNA-Seq: Improving RNA-Seq expression estimates by correcting for fragment bias. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 03-18-2011 02:00 AM
RNA-Seq: Length Bias Correction for RNA-seq Data in Gene Set Analyses. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-22-2011 02:02 AM
RNA-seq bias Rodrigo Arzate RNA Sequencing 0 08-18-2009 01:14 PM
RNA-seq bias Rodrigo Arzate Illumina/Solexa 0 08-18-2009 01:10 PM

Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #21
steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by censinis View Post
Hi guys,

I am particularly interested on directional RNA-seq to be determined by means of RNA-seq and Illumina HiSeq 2000. Same authors (like N.Croucher of Sanger) already mentioned few approaches but I am wondering if anyone already tested them with bacterial totRNA. In particular I am looking at protocols suggested for ribosomal RNA depletion, RNA fragmentation and retro-transcription. Could you be so gentle to help me?

Thanks in advance
Best
SC
About the DSN normalization:
- a paper
- a guide
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 AM   #22
kalidaemon

Thanks. Fixed the memory issue and now running fine.
kalidaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:47 AM   #23
NeleZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonandrews View Post
Rory - glad to hear you're liking SeqMonk!

If you've put probes over mRNA features and then done a trend plot then the peak you see at the end might not be due to true 3' bias.

Different transcripts will have exons at different places along their length. Therefore the trend plot for any individual transcript will go up and down as you pass in and out of an exon. If you average over all transcripts then you'll see the combined signals from all of the transcripts doing this which will even itself out for the most part - however the only places you're guaranteed to be in an exon are at the beginning and end of each transcript, so a trend plot over all transcripts will probably show a peak at each end because of the higher probability of being in an exon. Since 3' exons are generally larger than 5' exons you'll probably also see a bigger peak at the 3' end.

What you'd need for a true view of the trend over a spliced transcript would be to concatenate the exons for each transcript together and do a trend plot over those - missing out the introns. This could actually be a good addition to the program so I'll look at adding that in the a future release.

This same problem wouldn't apply to trend plots over exons where you would expect the signal from the reads to be continuous.
@simonandrews
hi, has this option been added yet? I'd also be interested in using it... or would it be possible to have the transcriptome instead of the genome as a reference to remove the up and downs?
or can anyone else help me on how to visualize a 3'/5' bias in my data?
NeleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #24
pbluescript

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeleZ View Post
@simonandrews
hi, has this option been added yet? I'd also be interested in using it... or would it be possible to have the transcriptome instead of the genome as a reference to remove the up and downs?
or can anyone else help me on how to visualize a 3'/5' bias in my data?
RSeQC can do this.
http://rseqc.sourceforge.net/
pbluescript is offline   Reply With Quote