SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > De novo discovery

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSR from denovo assembled genome bioman1 Bioinformatics 4 10-14-2015 08:01 PM
Mitochondria genome-denovo assembly bioman1 Bioinformatics 24 10-14-2015 01:16 PM
deNovo assembly with long reads and big genome senna Bioinformatics 11 03-20-2015 07:03 AM
Denovo assembled genome quality sanjaysingh765 Illumina/Solexa 6 09-03-2014 10:41 AM
Bambus for scaffolding big genome?? shaohua.fan Bioinformatics 3 06-25-2011 08:41 AM

Old 01-06-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
Haumich

Default deNovo/merged genome to big

Hello Everyone,

in my project, I deNovo-assembled a genome of a non-model rodent using "Abyss". I now have various scaffolds, which I merged, using "GAM-NGS". I know that the genome is about 3 billion bp long. The merged genome(s) however, are much longer, some about 3.8 billion bp.
I already filtered out all scaffolds smaller than 1000 bp, which is the average length of a gene for this species. Can I naively throw out the smallest scaffolds until I reach ~3 billion bp, or do I have to tweak the merging process?
My usual way of determining the quality of an assembled genome is mapping back DNA/RNA-Seq data and look at the mapping rate, but this obviously favors larger genomes.
I would appreciate if someone could share his/her experience here.
Thanks
Robert

Update: I tested various assemblers, but Abyss performed best. I am merging assemblies for different Kmers, which is recommended in literature.

Last edited by Haumich; 01-09-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Haumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #2
mastal

You only mention Abyss. I haven't used GAM-NGS, but I thought the idea was to merge assemblies produced by different assemblers. I would try one or more other assemblers to see how different the assemblies they give are.
mastal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denovo assembly abyss, merging assemblies