Strange maq 7.1 problem homeriq5 Bioinformatics 7 11-26-2013 07:19 AM
strange WFA songxifan SOLiD 1 09-08-2011 12:39 AM
Strange contigs Ramet RNA Sequencing 0 06-08-2011 04:53 AM
Strange DE results SMcTaggart Bioinformatics 0 11-25-2010 04:53 AM

Old 01-23-2015, 01:04 AM   #1
hreuver

Default Strange CRAMtools 2.1 issue

Hi all,

We have accumulated quite a lot of BAM files over the years and we would like (need) to archive the old(er) ones. We have tested CRAMtools 2.1 and we are very happy with the results. Since we are talking about thousands of BAM files, we cannot go without automation. But...

The problem is as followed:
- when I run CRAMtools in a job file, it terminates immediatly (throwing an exception).
- when I copy the command from the job file and execute it on the head node or on the node it previously failed on, I have no issues what so ever.

My job file looks like this:
Code:
#PBS -N DNAXXXXXX
#PBS -j oe
#PBS -o /data/results/CRAM_archive/2013/october//DNAXXXXXX.log
#PBS -r y
#PBS -q bs_secondary
#PBS -m ea
#PBS -M rick.dereuver@radboudumc.nl
#PBS -l nodes=1:ppn=12
cp /data/results/BGI/DNAXXXXXX/DNAXXXXXX.bam /scratch/
cp /data/results/BGI/DNAXXXXXX/DNAXXXXXX.bam.bai /scratch/
java -jar /share/apps/cramtools-2.1.jar cram -I /data/results/BGI/DNAXXXXXX/DNAXXXXXX.bam -O /scratch/DNAXXXXXX.cram -R /data/references/GrCh37/GrCh37_reference.fa --preserve-read-names --capture-all-tags -L *8
java -cp /share/apps/cramtools-2.1.jar net.sf.cram.ValidateCramFile -I /scratch/DNAXXXXXX.cram -R /data/references/GrCh37/GrCh37_reference.fa
mv /scratch/DNAXXXXXX.cram /data/results/CRAM_archive/2013/october//
rm -f /scratch/DNAXXXXXX.bam
rm -f /scratch/DNAXXXXXX.bam.bai
The exception I get when submitting the job file to torque:
Code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:606)
        at net.sf.cram.CramTools.invoke(CramTools.java:93)
        at net.sf.cram.CramTools.main(CramTools.java:123)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uknown read or base category: 6
        at net.sf.cram.lossy.QualityScorePreservation.parseSinglePolicy(QualityScorePreservation.java:155)
        at net.sf.cram.lossy.QualityScorePreservation.parsePolicies(QualityScorePreservation.java:79)
        at net.sf.cram.lossy.QualityScorePreservation.<init>(QualityScorePreservation.java:39)
        at net.sf.cram.Bam2Cram.main(Bam2Cram.java:273)
        ... 6 more
I have tried to include the full path to java to make sure the same version is used in all cases, but the problem remains.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this problem and how I can fix it?

Many thanks,

Rick
hreuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Have you tried just using samtools to make the cram files? That should work reasonably well and allow you to just avoid whatever is causing this-.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 01:43 AM   #3
hreuver

Thanks for the suggestion! We do like 5,000 diagnostic WES samples (Illumina) each year and, even though we are only archiving BAM files that have expired the mandatory storage term, we apply strict quality measurements to our data. We have validated the use of CRAMtools very well and switching to samtools would probably mean we have to redo the entire validation process. If possible, I would like to prevent this.

But this problem only occurs with our Illumina data (BWA). When I use the same job file for older BAM files (SOLiD, lifescope), I have no problems at all.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:06 AM   #4
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Your best bet is to create an issue report on github. This is being thrown here, which appears to be trying to parse something that's saying what to do with quality scores.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:07 AM   #5
hreuver

Many thanks for your suggestion! I have posted the issue on github and we have come to a solution:

The code below used to work on our main server and it still works on another server when run through a job file. It still works on both servers when running from the command line directly on the node or on the head.

java -jar /share/apps/cramtools-2.1.jar cram -I /data/results/BGI/DNAXXXXXX/DNAXXXXXX.bam -O /scratch/DNAXXXXXX.cram -R /data/references/GrCh37/GrCh37_reference.fa --preserve-read-names --capture-all-tags -L *8

It stopped working on our main server when running the command from a job file. The solution was very simple: change -L *8 to -L '*8'

It seems like this issue is caused by a system/evironment setting. I did have a look at this before, but I wasn't able to pin point why it is working on one machine, but not on the other.

Last edited by hreuver; 01-26-2015 at 07:57 AM.

Tags
cramtools, exception, issue, job, problem