SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Epigenetics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Strand-specific RNA-seq mean reads from one genome strand? shangzhong0619 RNA Sequencing 4 06-16-2014 12:56 AM
Strand bias on estimation of DNA methylation level hui_shi Bioinformatics 4 04-23-2014 12:57 PM
how to know a gene's strand ahli1981 Bioinformatics 1 01-30-2012 07:44 AM
always reads on plus strand more than on minus strand tujchl Bioinformatics 4 04-29-2011 12:08 AM
different number of reads mapped to plus strand and minus strand gfmgfm Bioinformatics 2 02-03-2011 10:26 AM

Old 09-19-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
yao_licr

Default Methylation in the + strand influence the expression of gene in the - strand?

Hi all,
I have a general question about how the methylation within the TSS 1000 bp will influence the expression of the gene?

It is easy to understand that if the methylation happens in the same strand as the gene sits, it will potentially repress the expression of the corresponding gene; but if the methylation (within TSS 1000 bp) happens in the + strand, so could it potentially repress the corresponding gene in the - strand as well? Is there any literature about that?

Thanks a lot!

Yao
yao_licr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

It's highly likely that methylation on the + strand can affect transcription on the - strand. I've never read a paper that showed that, but I've also never looked.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
volks

most CpGs in the genome are either unmethylated or methylated on both strands (CG is a palindromic sequence). any hemi-methylated CpGs are quickly methylated on both strands by DNMT1 (that is what is happening for every cellular replication cycle). i am not aware of any finding that would answer your question more appropriately.
volks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
hamarillo

Bottom line is, how could enzymes distinguish which strand they are methylating?

when you perform a sequencing experiment and on the analysis you find that there is no equilibrium between the methylation at - and + strands; is it an indicator of an experimental artefact or a sequencer failure?
hamarillo is offline   Reply With Quote